• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Hello, I have a question regarding Photoshop portraiture cleanups.

Participant ,
Feb 01, 2018 Feb 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My question is this:

When working on my portraiture image is it best to do a cleanup before I begin additional edits (e.g. Using Surface blur on the models skin) or afterwards?

I understand the use of a separate layer for the cleanup as I don't want to make my image destructive. To conclude, I'm aware that the answer to this question might be obvious but I just wanted to make sure as I don't want to redo this.

All answers are appreciated!

Regards,

CT.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You question should be moved to the general Photoshop forum you not asking anything about scripting Photoshop in this Photoshop Scripting forum. You also know the answer is if you are going to do something destructive and want to be able to undo the destruction you do it is a layer you add and can be removed to remove the destruction. For example  clone or spot heal into an added top empty layer. If you want that plastic look blur a skin layer you create  or use excessive noise reduction on it.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your helpful contribution on my post. I see you mentioned that I posted this question on the wrong forum. I apologise, I have a hard time navigating around the entire website as it is. I didn't even realise. How would I put it on the correct forum?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A moderator here would need to move this thread to Photoshop  use that forum in the future till you start scripting Photoshop then come here.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cheers Mack!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Get the color right, then you want to do any healing / cleanup. Blurring is last, right before sharpening.

Melissa Piccone | Adobe Trainer | Online Courses Author | Fine Artist><br />Melissa Piccone | Adobe Trainer | Pluralsight Author | Fine Artist

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the reply Melissa. I always wondered what the best order was.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And for applying Filters always consider using Smart Filters.

If you decide it does not make sense in a particular case that may certainly be so, but keep it in mind.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And to use a filter as a smat filtere you have to make what the filter is used on a smart object layer first.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're absolutely right, smart filters are always handy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

It depends on the technique your using, for example if you are using a high frequency approach, you would duplicate the original image a few times and through the apply image process start by smoothing the skin with a Gaussian blur Layer (Low Frequency) then remove any spots and blemishes within your detailed Layer (high Frequency).

Here is a great tutorial on this process: Skin Retouching Photoshop Tutorial - YouTube

Then Once you've completed any additional healing you can go ahead and twerk the colours contrast and curves as you wish, knowing you retouching is complete.

All in all you will find a process that suits you best in time there is no right or wrong way.

I hope this helps!

Sim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a bunch pal. Great tutorial video.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

My pleasure!

I am glad I could help.

Sim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines