• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Silhouette without green screen?

New Here ,
Feb 02, 2018 Feb 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm fairly beginner in after effects so bare with me.

I filmed dancers as a silhouette and want to create a digital silhouette (video not still). I know I should use a green screen and chroma key it out but I don't  have acess to one. Can I mask the background out somehow with this footage? Does it matter that the floor is grey and the backdrop is white?

1517591040024206365165.jpg#58800

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

try to use rotobrush tool

You cant add green screen (there are diffences between alphas, mattes y chroma key)

Screenshot_4.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could use a curves effect to boost the contrast and turn that footage into something close to a black-white mask around each dancer, assuming they stay in front of the lit areas. Add a hue/saturation effect with sat -100 to make the whites neutral. You're only interested in getting pure white around the edges of the figures and pure black inside, not turning the entire stage white.

You'll then need to mask around each dancer so that all the unwanted areas are removed, and probably keyframe the masks to follow them. Put a solid white layer below to fill in the unmasked regions and you have a silhouette.

The floor looks to be too dark to pull the edges out automatically using this technique. It *might* be possible but you'd need to treat the floor and the wall sections separately, merging them back together with a mask. However from that photo it's looking like the floor will be a rotoscoping job.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 12, 2018 Feb 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still working on this ginsiv? Let us know if you need help.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 11, 2019 Jul 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kevin-Monahan​ I'm definitely interested. I have to be able to lift a person from a background for some sports promotions. I was going to also try the Rotobrush, but that's not always a perfect solution.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jul 11, 2019 Jul 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It's worth looking at the individual channels to see if there are any of them that provide enough contrast to use as a matte - this can be a good starting point. You are looking for high contrast between BG and FG. If that exists, use the Calculations effect to accentuate this difference (Often Overlay mode works well as it will boost lights and darks) till you have something you can use as a matte. You can then apply the "Set Matte" effect to apply this as a matte.

Another often overlooked feature is After Effects Paint tools. You can set your paintbrush to "Alpha" only and use black to manual paint out areas that Rotobrush has missed (if using Rotobrush). The great thing is that these paint strokes can be animated and can give a really nice, organic effect. You can also drag the Refine Matte effect after the Paint so that the refinements are also applied to the paint strokes. I have some tutorials on these techniques in my After Effects Learn by Video CS5 and CS6 courses.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines