• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

xmp files on mac

New Here ,
Feb 02, 2018 Feb 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use Lightroom on an iMac with the catalog and photos stored on external hard drive.  The Raw (NEF actually) XMP (sidecar) files are stored as files that require opening MIcrosoft Messenger (with password) to open.  Is this appropriate?  Could it end up being a problem?  Any thoughts?  Thanks,  John

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 03, 2018 Feb 03, 2018

Is that with a single click or double click? If the latter, that simply suggests to me that somehow the .xmp file extension is associated with Messenger, i.e. that's the app that your OS has been told to open when you double-click on an xmp file. I've just checked mine and I see it's associated with ON1 Photo Raw, which means that ON1 did that when it was installed. But anyone opening an xmp file in Finder presumably only wants to inspect the contents, so changing the default to something like t

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What software is telling you that? The XMP files are utilized by Lightroom and Photoshop when they are present. When they are not present then Lightroom reads the settings from the catalog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom by default reads and writes from the Catalog File and this continues when you are working with Lightroom. At first import of images into Lightroom if there is an xmp sidecar present Lightroom will read the information from the xmp file. However subsequently Lightroom reads and writes to the Catalog file.

If you select the option to "Automatically write changes into xmp" then Lightroom will also write changes to the xmp sidecar for raw files and into the file header of jpeg, tiff or dng files. This can also be done by choosing the option from the menu bar Metadata > save metadata to file.

Screen Shot 2018-02-02 at 8.46.14 PM.png

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jim.  When I go to the folder on the external HD where the raw files are stored, the accompanying xmp file looks like this:  "2017_untitled_008.xmp." When I click on it I get this:Screen Shot 2018-02-02 at 4.59.25 PM.png

Does that make sense?  Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you specify what application created the xmp file ?

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The xmp files are created by Lightroom when I import the raw images from my

Nikon d500. I am just concerned that this reiteration of the files may not

be good long-term. Thanks for your interest and help.

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 03, 2018 Feb 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is that with a single click or double click? If the latter, that simply suggests to me that somehow the .xmp file extension is associated with Messenger, i.e. that's the app that your OS has been told to open when you double-click on an xmp file. I've just checked mine and I see it's associated with ON1 Photo Raw, which means that ON1 did that when it was installed. But anyone opening an xmp file in Finder presumably only wants to inspect the contents, so changing the default to something like textedit.app would make more sense.

Do a "Get Info" on any xmp sidecar file and see what's set as the default app, and if needed change it via the drop down list.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 05, 2018 Feb 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jim - I think that you have the answer.  I appreciate your help very much.  I tried the "get info" and, indeed, it selected Microsoft messenger as a default.  Not sure what the correct app might be, and maybe don't need one, but this clears up why MM was selected.

Thanks again,  John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 25, 2022 Jan 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I am getting .xmp versions of my Illustrator files suddenly on Mac... everything up to date

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines