• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Question about Exporting/Importing a catalog

New Here ,
Feb 02, 2018 Feb 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm having trouble figuring out why there is such a big disparity in file sizes between my exported images. I use a professional editor, so my usual process is to "Export as Catalog" (Uncheck "Export negative files", Check "Build/Include Smart Previews", Check "Include available previews"). Then, I compress that folder and send to her through DropBox. When I get them back, I open up the folder in Lightroom and click File->Import From Another Catalog. Once all of her edits have been applied to my images, I export as JPEG's at 100 Quality, sRGB, and 300 dpi.

The last wedding I sent her was around 1400 images. All in RAW. The original RAW images ranged from 24-30MB on average. After exporting them as JPEG's they were all around 6-10MB. I used them to create an album in Fundy and ordered through Miller's Lab. No problems. This past weeding I sent the same editor around 1200 images. All in RAW. Again, the original RAW images ranged from 24-30MB on average. After exporting them as JPEG's they were all around 1-3MB. I started creating an album in Fundy and started getting a lot of warnings that some of my images were going to have to be increased by 80-100% to fit on the page. When designing a 12X12 album with some pitcures that take up an entire page, that is a BIG disparity in size.

As a test, I took 3 of my original RAW images (that were not cropped), did some quick edits myself, then exported them with the same settings. The three images that I edited and exported were 5.69MB, 6.00MB, and 4.20MB. Comparing those to the same 3 edited images I got back from her; Hers were 2.71MB, 2.51MB, and 1.84MB respectively. I went one step further and re-sent those 3 original RAW images back to her to edit again. This time, after exporting them they were 4.66MB, 4.74MB, and 3.14MB respectively. Can someone tell me what possible steps along this process are being altered to change the image sizes? Thank you in advance for your help!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Feb 02, 2018 Feb 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I export with 100% Jpeg quality in LR Classic and my 24MP photos are 10 Mbyte in size. This is my archive size to be safe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines