• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Many links in Project missing....project is 10 MB smaller???

Jan 12, 2009 Jan 12, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I jpublished another copy of a project I am building. Many of the links are dead...nothing happens when they are clicked. This happened once before and I thought it was because I moved some files around. This time however, I did not. I just went in again and reinserted the links and some are still not working. They do work in the preview mode.....

The entire project has also shrunk by 10 MB....what in the world is going on!?? I am losing patience as I can't rebuild this thing over and over.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Jan 13, 2009 Jan 13, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You'll have to try very hard to regain some of that patience you've lost, or you'll continue to shoot yourself in the foot.

If links are working in preview mode, but not in the published output, then some files have obviously not made the transition from source-to-generatelocation-to-publishlocation.

Did you rename the project, and was that done outside the RoboHelp project?
- Not good.

Are you generating output to the default !SSL! folder?
- Try generating to something like C:\TestOutput.

Are you generating with an incorrect Conditional build tag?
- In the Project Manager pane, right click each build tag and select Properties to see which topics it's used in. Then see if there's a Conditional Build Expression on the first window.

Pay particular attention to the pathname/filename values in the first window of the Generate wizard, and to the publishlocation value in the last window.

Come back with more details if none of this helps.

Good luck,
Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My patience is back after a good night's sleep. Sorry, many hours were spent trying to meet a deadline that I missed due to this.

I have not renamed my project outside of Robohelp.

I have generated in a different location with no luck, links still missing.

I have not used conditional build tags.

I am stumped.....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are these links to other topics in the project?

Have you looked at the paths in html (code) view and checked it is not the full path rather than an absolute path, unless of course it is to a file where the location will be the same from both source and output?

Have you looked at the path in the output to make sure something is not going wrong? (Open it in Notepad)

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all

One other thing to check that I don't believe I've seen mentioned in this thread. Are there any characters other than A-Z and 0-9 in the names used for the files?

I ask because recently I helped two different people using RoboHelp and with a pesky and difficult to resolve issue where a single topic refused to be linked to or something refused to display as advertised. As it turned out, the person had used an ampersand ( & ) in the file name. And in RoboHelp's infinite wisdom, when it encountered the ampersand, it politely converted it to the HTML entity of ( & ).

So you may find that a bit of topic renaming is in order. (totally from inside RoboHelp please)

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 14, 2009 Jan 14, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update - Thanks for your help...there are no other characters used in the links.

However, there are many links in the project which do not work on my computer but other people can see most (but not all) on their computer. What do you think about that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 14, 2009 Jan 14, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

... which could be consistent with the questions I posed.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 02, 2009 Feb 02, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

I am afraid I do not know how to check my output folder or how to open it in Notepad. I am also not sure what an absolute path is.... I am also experiencing a problem where my most of my captivate demos are not showing up in the finished product. I am getting an error message everytime I close Robohelp, my IT guy says it is iis error so we are installing xp pro again tomorrow. Hopefully that will take care of some errors.

Any thoughts...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Feb 02, 2009 Feb 02, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Hi Lochbox

If you want, I'll be happy to connect with you and observe your project first hand. I use a computer screen sharing service run by Citrix called GoToMeeting. I also use Skype to converse. If you don't have Skype, I can call a dedicated phone number. But I'll need your number to do that.

If this interests you, send me a private message to rstone75 (at) kc (dot) rr (dot) com and I'll fire back a link to connect.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp