• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

old external hard drive died but salvaged data onto new one, but cannot tell lightroom?

Community Beginner ,
Feb 03, 2018 Feb 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I had all my source files for Lightroom on a My Passport External Drive.. It fell and died, but I took it to a data recovery expert who said that he was able to save most of the data onto my brand new G drive external drive. So, I just plugged it in to Lightroom and any photo I pull up the program tells me that I do not have the source file for it. How do I tell my Lightroom that the files are there on the new drive? All the folders are the exact same and named the same. Please be as specific as possible with any suggestions. Screen shots are also cool if needing to show or explain something if possible. I am good at taking photos, but this type of computer issue is way out of my normal scope of things I know and do.  In those folders I have photos for other people and I work as a photographer and sometimes people come back a year later asking for a large high def version of an image.. So I need to be able to sync up the new drive... I am using Lightroom 5.

Thank you so so so much if you can help me with this.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What does Lightroom really tell you? What is the error message or what ever that you are receiving?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It just says"file not available" when I try to go into Develop module...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right click photo and click on "show in library". It will point to a greyed out old folder. Right click on that folder and click on "show folder above" (or similar). Do that until you see your previous parentfolder. Righclick and select "update location". Select that folder on the new hard disk.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To fix missing files in Lightroom, please follow these instructions:

Adobe Lightroom - Find moved or missing files and folders

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 04, 2018 Feb 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much dj_paige!

Very, very helpful!

I am reading through all of it now and trying to ready myself to start to dig in on the project..

So given that it is almost 2 TB worth of photo files, do I have to show it one folder at a time tediously going through all of them? It will be a very very long process...  I see that it says that I can do one photo from a folder and then it might just find the rest of that folder, which would be good... I do have a lot of folders.. This will take a looooooooong time..  Any helpful hints on that type of issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 04, 2018 Feb 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

taral34094013  wrote

Thank you so much dj_paige!

Very, very helpful!

I am reading through all of it now and trying to ready myself to start to dig in on the project..

So given that it is almost 2 TB worth of photo files, do I have to show it one folder at a time tediously going through all of them? It will be a very very long process...

See Figure 4 and associated text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 21, 2018 Apr 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have tried all these steps but the HD and folders which I copied with Mac finder still can't be found. which steps have I missed or mistakenly do.

Btw, I use external drive as a working drive and its starting to give problem, hence fastest way is to copy all files (of almost 5TB) to 3 other smaller dives.

Thanks for helping

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 22, 2018 Apr 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried all these steps but the HD and folders which I copied with Mac finder still can't be found.

Tell us exactly, in great detail, what you did.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 22, 2018 Apr 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear DJ_Paige,

1. My 8TB WD external drive occasionally lost connection with iMac. So I use another Macbook which manage to connect to this HD, from there I copy out all files to 3 HD (2TB n 1TB).

2. I connect either of the 3 HD but none of the ilr file can be recognized by LR cc Classic nor LR 5.0

3. Then I do this : https://forums.adobe.com/external-link.jspa?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.computer-darkroom.com%2Flr2_find_folder%2Ffind-folder.htm , but not successful

4. Last night I manage to reconnect 8TB HD and try to move a catalog (less than 1k of photos) out to a new HD, this morning I checked again but failed too.

5. File in my HD both DNG and JPG

I am really helpless now with couple years of work in risk

Looking forward to tips to resolve this issue

Thanks & Rgds

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 23, 2018 Apr 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Item 3 ought to work. You are not doing something properly. Explain what you did.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 24, 2018 Apr 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi DJ

I open up lricat from the new HD

Screen Shot 2018-04-24 at 08.20.56.png

then LR load up and show this, it recognised original files in My Book (the problem HDF)

Screen Shot 2018-04-24 at 08.21.14.png

and HD #1 not link to LR

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 24, 2018 Apr 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi DJ,

sometime I manage to reconnect the problem HD (My Book)

Screen Shot 2018-04-25 at 11.11.23.png

then I do export of file 2018 bekap..... as a catalog to HD #1 as Test

Screen Shot 2018-04-25 at 11.13.23.png

but it fail

Screen Shot 2018-04-25 at 11.15.47.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 25, 2018 Apr 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It's the same problem. You need to reconnect the photos the same as you did in the 2018 Bek-ap folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines