• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cropping turns photo background black , transparency is lost.

New Here ,
Feb 03, 2018 Feb 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I start with a transparency ,import a picture,  crop , then the

backround turns black.

Then subsequent layers are black, I have to shut the whole thing

down just get rid of the layers and try to start over, then of course

I'm going to get another blacked out background, what Am I doing

wrong?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You stated you imported a picure whad picture did you import and how which import feature?

Capture.jpg

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't import, pardon, I just went
File
Open
Desktop
Grabbed a vector graphic jpeg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jpg's are not vector and they do not support transparency, Hence the background layer. Just drag padlock to trashcan as I mentioned above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In properties its labeled jpeg, the tag that comes with it , also in properties,  is below, I'm sure you're right, but this is the information they
gave:

ICNIC Photo2 stock-vector-happy-family-on-a-picnic-dad-mom-son-and-daughter-are-resting-in-nature-vector-illustration-in-617601149 - Shortcut

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jpeg file format does not support image tranparency.

Some Photoshop supported File format support vector layers. PNG image support transpareny.  Photoshop does not actually support vector file formats well like SVG file and ai files. However, they can be place into Photoshop as vector smart object layers..

Here I placing in an Adode Stock Imge Preview it an AI file so its a vector Smart Object layer and can tranforme any size with vector graphics. Howevet if I open the AI file into  Photoshop it will open as a  pixel layer nothing about it is a vector. And it wll not be a smart object layer

Here I open the AI file

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Jim,
I just place imbedded , open , desktop , selected a jpeg boat, that I worked on for hours last week,
no problems, probably 10 or 20 different times at least. Never lost the transparent background,
now, after a simple crop , its Blacked out background.
ai and svg files are over my head, I'm just going on what was working very well last week has
suddenly gone south , starting today.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't have to shut down the computer to remove layer. You will find a trash can at the bottom of the layers panel. Select the layer(s) then the trashcan or drag the layer(s) to the trashcan (drag and drop). All but the last layer can be deleted.

As for a single layer to have transparency.

It must not be a background layer(will say background and have a padlock). Just drag padlock to the trashcan to convert the background layer to a normal layer.

If the layer is a solid color (for example) You would have to select all (ctrl-a on windows or cmd-a on mac) or use one of the selection tools for just part of the layer.

At this point you can just hit the delete key to remove any color within the selected portion(s) to reveal the transparency checkerboard.

If you are using artboards - You can select the artboard above the layer(s) and then right click for a pop up menu and choose ungroup. (I think the normal group commands will work, but have not tried - ctrl-shift-g on windows or cmd-shift-g on mac to ungroup - again I did not test so it may not work)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines