• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop CC 2017 and CC 2018 installed, just want 2018

Community Beginner ,
Feb 03, 2018 Feb 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Creative Cloud menubar app does not acknowledge the existence of CC 2017 and the "Uninstall" link inside the 2017 folder throws an error stating the alias can't be opened. I've followed the instructions for renaming the opt.db file to no avail.

The same thing is happening with Illustrator.

The Lightroom update worked out OK once I fired up the new "Classic" version and upgraded from 2015. I have run both PS CS 2018 and IL CS 2018 thinking results might be similar but Creative Cloud refuses to acknowledge the CC 2017 versions. Both 2017 and 2018 versions of PS and IL run without issue.

The versions dropdown also ignores the existence of CC 2017 (see attached capture.)

While this is not a huge problem, I try to keep things tidy on my Mac Pro's internal drive as it's the fastest one I have and contains my current work. While it's not likely germane to this issue, I also have PS CS6 installed.

Any ideas short of just tossing it in the Trash? I've heard doing this is a Bad Thing. But I'd really like the 4 GB back.

2018-02-03_20-06-37.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Feb 04, 2018 Feb 04, 2018

This problem has now been resolved. Thank goodness Adobe has the provision for installing older versions.

What I did was install the CC 2017 versions of Photoshop and Illustrator even though they were already present on my computer. The Creative Cloud app cheerfully went along with this, installing CC 2017 versions atop the existing programs. I was then able to uninstall them using Creative Cloud.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What does the Creative Cloud show when you highlight installed apps.  Mine shows I have CS6, CC 2014 and CC which it shows  for CC 2018 version 19.1. All Apps shows all installed and addition current versions that can be installed. If you took the default  install settings when you installed CC 2018 the  installer would uninstall prior version of Photoshop.  If you want to keep your working versions of Photoshop you need to use the advance install options and uncheck remove prior versions.  IMO the should be the default setting.

If you get the new version working well for your use  youcan the remove your old working version. Not a good idea Adobe may release a new update that breaks something in the current version that you  use.  You should always have a backup  working Photoshop  version installed....

Your Creative Cloud Desktop application may have a problems if the old versions are still install one your system There are only two Photoshop Launch button shown.

At one time  I had  versions 3, 14, 15, 16, 17, and 18 installed all had launch buttons in the desktop application and there were more in windows start for  I had the 32bit and 64bir versions of CS6 and CC installed.   I had to rebuild my system  because of a Windows1 0 Preview build.  I chose not to install CS2, CS3. CC. CC 2015, CC 2015.5 and CC 2017.

The other versions

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You've hit on the perplexing thing. The older versions don't show up. Here's my "INSTALLED APPS" (jeez, Adobe, why ya' shouting?)  list:

2018-02-03_23-19-18.jpg

They usually show the older versions as in your screen shot. The only one they're showing is my REALLY old version (but still mine if I don't subscribe.)

Here's what's in my Applications directory:

2018-02-03_23-33-11.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure they are still installed.  CC 2018 installer would remove old versions of Photoshop CC if you did not use the advance install options and uncheck remove prior versions.  If the are not you should be able to reinstall them and you old preferences may still be intact and your third party plug-in may as well. When Photoshop is install  the installer does not build your preferences and does not install third party plug-ins.  Uninstalling Photoshop does not remove users preferences and third party plug-ins. CC 2017 folder may still be there for in its plugins sub folder third party plug-ins are installed.... I use windows your mac install is quite like windows install tree Look in CC 2017 folders...

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 04, 2018 Feb 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When trying to run version 2017, I get this error...

2018-02-04_09-19-48.jpg

Photoshop CC 2017 files are still present, though. I can tell by the amount of space used.

I was mistaken in thinking they both are runnable. Both 2017 and 2018 versions of Illustrator run without error.

Guess I'll try "installing" Photoshop CC 2017 after researching the above error. Maybe that will give me the option to uninstall via the CC app.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want to install an older version of Photoshop I would suggest CC 2014.  There is not much differences between CC 207 and CC 2018.   CC 2014 has fewer bugs than both CC 2017 and CC 2018.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This problem has now been resolved. Thank goodness Adobe has the provision for installing older versions.

What I did was install the CC 2017 versions of Photoshop and Illustrator even though they were already present on my computer. The Creative Cloud app cheerfully went along with this, installing CC 2017 versions atop the existing programs. I was then able to uninstall them using Creative Cloud.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines