• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Resetting layer mask defaults

New Here ,
Feb 03, 2018 Feb 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I create a layer mask from a selection, the values seem reversed: black reveals and white conceals. I can invert the selection to make the mask do what I want, but how do I restore the defaults so that "white reveals, black conceals" consistently once again? I'm using Photoshop CC 2017 on a Mac. Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 03, 2018 Feb 03, 2018

Target the layer mask a usr CMD+I Invert. You may have inverted it to begin with  by hitting the option key when adding the mask or inverting the selection. If you use quick mask to create the selection make sure you did not change its default settings. I often changed quick mask operation though with the availability of the quick selection tool I do not use quick mask often these days.  If I ever start using CC 2018 Select object might be useful in some cases. I often select what I do not want

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Target the layer mask a usr CMD+I Invert. You may have inverted it to begin with  by hitting the option key when adding the mask or inverting the selection. If you use quick mask to create the selection make sure you did not change its default settings. I often changed quick mask operation though with the availability of the quick selection tool I do not use quick mask often these days.  If I ever start using CC 2018 Select object might be useful in some cases. I often select what I do not want to select then invert the selection I made.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 04, 2018 Feb 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, JJMack. I think I probably did change the Quick Mask defaults (some time ago). I appreciate your quick reply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If JJMack's solution doesn't work try this.

After you make the selection, click [Select and Mask]  on the context menu at top of screen to open Properties.

In the Properties box click INVERT and then below that check the box for Remember Settings.

Joe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 04, 2018 Feb 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks, Joe, for your suggestion as well. I was not aware how to change and remember these settings. Good information! Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines