• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to update an asset in my CC Library and have it applied automatically?

New Here ,
Feb 04, 2018 Feb 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I'm having trouble figuring out how to change existing assets in a CC Library and have these changes applied to all instances that make use of this asset.

In this case, it specifically concerns colour swatches.

In Photoshop, I picked a bunch of colours and added these to my library to use in other applications.

Then, in Illustrator, I created a simple graphic, applied one single colour from the ones I saved in my library, and saved it as EPS.
Note: I did actually apply the colour FROM my Library, I did not recreate the colour. I selected my graphic and then clicked on the desired colour from the Library.

Now I added this graphic in InDesign in a document. In the same InDesign document, I also have some text that I want to be in the same colour as the graphic. Naturally I selected the text and applied the correct colour from my library.

Here is the thing: I might have to tweak colours, according to the wishes of my client. I have created quite a lot of these graphics in Illustrator and have a lot of text to take into account. To change all of these graphics in Illustrator and all of the text in InDesign manually, would be very tedious.

Is there any way I can make this happen? I tried simply altering the colour already added in the Library, but that does not apply the change to all the instances that have the colour applied to.

All applications I use are CC 2018.

Please help me out!

Thanks in advance,

Astrid

TOPICS
File sync

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as I know, Library assets are not dynamic like "smart objects."   If the client wants a new color, you'll need to change colors in all apps & files.

This might be  a good time to get firm color choices from your client -- lest you get stuck changing colors for the foreseeable future.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 13, 2019 Sep 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ugg... I'm having the same issue.  Have you found a way to make this work since last year?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 06, 2021 Aug 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqRbl1l0sZM&ab_channel=AdobeCreativeCloud

This video states changes should automatically apply across instances. I'm also having this issue where my changes aren't applying across all instances. In my case, it's from an object created in Illustrator and being referenced in InDesign. But it's the same issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 02, 2022 Dec 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You have to modify the color in the cc library, so in illustrator double click the asset you want to change, a new document opens, change the colour and save, and it updates in all project 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines