• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"could not initialize photoshop because an unexpected end-of-file error was encountered"

Community Beginner ,
Feb 03, 2018 Feb 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have seen this post back in May of 2017 but no answer to the problem and i would like to know the fix for this as soon as possible as i would like to use my Photoshop 2018 CC. I am using windows 10 with 16 gig of ram and 3.5 ghz with i7 core. If you do not know the answer do you know how i can contact someone please that would know how to fix this. I have not had any problems with this before and i have been using this pc for years.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Feb 03, 2018 Feb 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the message does not state which file has the unexpected EOF and Photoshop terminates is there crash report.  Do you see Photoshop's splash screen and messages about the initialization progress?  Is this a new problem had CC 2018 been working in the past? If it had been working try deleting you users id CC 2018 preferences folder or rename the folder.  Photoshop should generate new preferences it you do.  If that fails use the creative cloud desktop to uninstall CC 208 then use it to reinstall cc 2018 some file is corrupt and has a premature EOF marker.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 04, 2018 Feb 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop 2018.JPGThanks JJMack for the reply. There is no crash report and i posted a screen capture of the fault i am seeing. It was working fine until yesterday. I have uninstalled using the creative cloud desktop and reinstalled but get the same fault. I am not able to find the preference folder to delete or rename it so i will try to find a tutorial about that. If you have anymore ideas or info please feel free to share.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try deleting or renaming your user ID Photoshop's preferences folder. It may be a corrupt preference files.

Preference file functions, names, locations | Photoshop

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks again JJMack for taking the time to help me with my problem. I am not able to find the preference folder even though i watched a tutorial on it. But at the end of the tutorial given by Julieanne Kost she showed how you start photoshop and then hold down the 3 keys, alt-ctrl-shift and it will ask if you want to delete all your settings or preferences, which i did and it worked. Now my workspace is back to square one but i can use Photoshop again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The folder is hidden on Mac and PC you need to set your system option so Finder or Windows File explorer will display hidden folders and files. The link I posted should have noted these are hidden by default. one windows  this is the way

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 09, 2018 Nov 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 03, 2018 Jun 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks JJMack, That did the trick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 03, 2018 Jun 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try this:

Goto -  C:\Users\USER\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2018\Adobe Photoshop CC 2018 Settings (replace 'USER' with your windows username)

and delete the file 'Workspace Prefs.psp'

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 14, 2018 Jun 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Works perfect good tip.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 09, 2018 Nov 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 27, 2018 Nov 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, that worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 15, 2019 Aug 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked on PS CC 2019 for the same problem, thank you!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 21, 2019 Sep 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 30, 2019 Sep 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 12, 2020 Mar 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 29, 2020 Dec 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem with Adobe Photoshop 2021, but it only started happening after I had uninstalled previous versions of Photoshop. I deleted 'Workspace Prefs.psp' as suggested and tried to start Photoshop. First time it gave me the same error message, but second time Photoshop started OK, Since then it has been fine.

Adobe should really have fixed this problem by now - if there is some corruption of 'Workspace Prefs.psp' they should at least highlight that this is the problem, rather than requiring users to hunt around on the forums for a solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 28, 2022 Feb 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Works perfect Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 31, 2020 Jan 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I had also faced the same problem many times, but today I came here to find any solution that could help but all in vain. Then I started to tried open the curroupt file in all softwares one by one. Then Jackpot, the said file opened in corel photopaint and then I export my file again in PSD and you know what all the layers and colors were as previous. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines