• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why doesn't Lightroom CC support video files?

Explorer ,
Jan 30, 2018 Jan 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First of all, I really like the new cloud based Lightroom CC system which lets me organize, edit and share my pictures from multiple devices. I shoot the most of my pictures with a Fujifilm x100f and also make some videos with this camera (standard .mov files). Problem is that Lightroom CC won't import new .mov-files shot with the same camera as before, when I used Lightroom Classic. It's getting more strange because previous videos in my Lightroom Classic library which I've converted to Lightroom CC are perfectly visible and playable in Lightroom CC. These are the same files from the same camera, why does Lightroom CC suddenly stops supporting them (or what does Lightroom Classic with them so CC does support them)?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Feb 06, 2018 Feb 06, 2018

Yes, that being said, I googled on that error (that only Lightroom Classic gives, not Lightroom CC) which brings me to this thread which included the solution by deleting some preference folders: Re: Import Error: Connecting to Dynamic Link Server Failed

And that does the trick! It's working again!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How big are the movie files? Have you tested with small movies from that camera?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Files are approx. 60 mb, but even short movies of 5 mb won't be imported: Dropbox - Schermafdruk 2018-01-30 16.40.26.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are sure the movies aren't damaged?

OK, I have an XT2 and will test if I can import movies from it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They playback perfectly when I import them with the standard Photoloader app

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just imported a small movie from the XT2. I simply copied the file from the card and put it on my desktop, then imported it - no other programs involved.

In a web browser, sign in to your account Online Photoshop Lightroom tosee if you can drag the movie from Finder and drop it into the grid.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm glad to hear that it works with your camera John, but I don't have the XT2 and it's not working for me with the X100. It worked previously with Lightroom CC Classic, but stops working directly in Lightroom CC. Also on my other Mac, and also using the IOS app.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 01, 2018 Feb 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What resolution and framerate do you use John?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 02, 2018 Feb 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

4k 30fps.

Try copying a new movie file from the card using Finder and no other software until you try to import into LRCC. Does Classic still import this file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried, doesn't change a thing. I will try it with the same 30fps settings and see of it will import that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you want to make one of these problem mov files available on Dropbox?

Also what version of Mac? LRCC may be designed differently, but in general LR handles video using the OS - after all, it doesn't need to convert standard formats like mov. I can test using High Sierra.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 04, 2018 Feb 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't see this issue either. Would it be possible for you to share one of the videos?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 05, 2018 Feb 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, you can download a sample movie here: Dropbox - ARNO1641.MOV

When I import that I get this error: Dropbox - Schermafdruk 2018-02-05 11.26.32.png

I use a Macbook Pro i7 with High Sierra, but also my Mac Pro with Sierra gives the same errors.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was able to save it to my Mac's desktop and import it normally into LRCC 1.1. Damn

You've not got the file on an external drive or NAS, have you? Nothing else has been writing to the file? I am only asking to see if something might explain the problem.

John

Screen Shot 2018-02-05 at 13.07.45.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you drag the file from Finder and drop it into your Lightroom Web account in a browser ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, it's just on my desktop. I've also tried to import directly from the camera with the original usb cable, which doesn't work. And also eject the sd-card and put it in my laptop doesn't change a thing. I've formatted several times. I will try another card.

In the meantime I've tried the webbrowser based version of Lightroom, and that seems to work...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then I am not sure what else to suggest!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even I was able to import the video in from my desktop.

If you only select one of the video files to be imported, does the thumbnail appear in the import grid before clicking on import?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 06, 2018 Feb 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I only see a video icon, not the thumbnail: Schermafdruk 2018-02-06 09.24.58.png

Viewing the files in Finder works fine or opening them in Quicktime. It's only Lightroom that has trouble with it, on my both computers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm. Did you copy only the one video locally? Does it have a sidecar file?

And are the videos importing into the current LrClassic?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It doesn't have a sidecar file as far as I can see (it's just one .mov file, like the one on Dropbox). Lightroom Classic also doesn't import them anymore, it's given this error: Schermafdruk 2018-02-06 10.48.16.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, that being said, I googled on that error (that only Lightroom Classic gives, not Lightroom CC) which brings me to this thread which included the solution by deleting some preference folders: Re: Import Error: Connecting to Dynamic Link Server Failed

And that does the trick! It's working again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines