File Rename creates Catalog chaos

Community Expert ,
Feb 04, 2018 Feb 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What went wrong?

Lr-Classic 7.1 Windows-10  Nikon NEF+JPEG

My workflow-

1)  Imported 40 NEF files (with 40 JPG sidecar files 'hidden' from Catalog.)

2) Decided I wanted the JPGS visible

3) Reset Preferences to show JPGs as separate files, re-started Lr.

4) Imported the 40 JPGs (full Import dialog)

Now all 80 images NEF+JPG visible in Catalog library.

5) Selected ALL

6) F2 to Re-name all selected files with preset {YYYYMMDD-RHC- D750-FileNumber}

Now this is what happened-

All the NEFs renamed successfully,

All the JPGs did NOT rename in the Catalog.

All the JPGs  DID rename in system folder.

Now all the JPGs are marked as "Missing" in the catalog. Re-linking is a "one at a time" PIA.

What went wrong?

Screen-clips after re-naming ALL files in folder:

Library view:

ScreenShot116.jpg  ScreenShot117.jpg

FIle Explorer View" of the folder of all 80 images NEF+JPG.

ScreenShot118.jpg

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Feb 04, 2018 Feb 04, 2018

It could be due to Preferences file corruption....or you found a new bug. Close LR and rename the LR Preferences file with a .OLD extension so you can restore it if not the cause. Try repeating the same workflow using the same files. Make sure to apply Library menu Metadata> Update DNG Preview & Metadata. You'll lose Pick flags and Collection association, but I don't think anything else. Remove the DNGs & JPEGs from LR and try again.

C:\Users\[user name]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Lightroom\Preference

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It could be due to Preferences file corruption....or you found a new bug. Close LR and rename the LR Preferences file with a .OLD extension so you can restore it if not the cause. Try repeating the same workflow using the same files. Make sure to apply Library menu Metadata> Update DNG Preview & Metadata. You'll lose Pick flags and Collection association, but I don't think anything else. Remove the DNGs & JPEGs from LR and try again.

C:\Users\[user name]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Lightroom\Preferences\Lightroom Classic CC 7 Preferences.agprefs.OLD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Todd, Followed your advice, It worked as it should the second time around. 

Another problem solved by the "magic sprinkle" on the Preferences file.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 05, 2018 Feb 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Glad to hear that fixed it! I've had to reset my LR Preferences file at least 2-3 times over the past year due to similar issues. When Adobe adds a new feature the current Preferences file needs to be "converted" to include that feature's "sticky" settings. It appears the conversion process can sometimes corrupt other settings in the Preferences file. I started keeping the OLD Preferences files as a log:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines