• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Changed default import location for a time period then reset it, those imports missing

New Here ,
Feb 05, 2018 Feb 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

0down votefavorite

I am running Lightroom on a Surface Pro with limited SSD space so at one point I switched my default import location to an external MicroSD card. My photo processing took a pretty serious performance hit using this as a location and after a number of months I tired of the performance issue and reverted to putting the imports back on the SSD.

At some point later I noticed that all the folders containing the imports from the MicroSD time period were missing.

Today I found the raws (on that MicroSD) and now I am wondering what would be the least problematic way of getting all these folders back into lightroom. Would I lose any editing data if I (re)import them from the MicroSD?

I am using lightroom CC 2015.12

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Feb 05, 2018 Feb 05, 2018

DO NOT RE-IMPORT.

YOU WILL LOSE ALL OF YOUR EDITS AND OTHER USER-SUPPLIED METADATA.

I say that in all capitals because it is extremely important. DO NOT RE-IMPORT.

Instead, find the photos in Lightroom Library Module, and then entirely in Lightroom, drag and drop them into some folder somewhere on your SSD or hard disk. This moves the photos to the SSD or hard disk without losing your edits.

And lastly, I want to mention a couple of other details.

DO NOT RE-IMPORT.

DO NOT RE-IMPORT.

DO NOT RE-IMPORT.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm talking completely out of my element because I know nothing (absolutely nothing) about the Mac. But if you imported those images to the micro SD card, If Lightroom will continue to recognize the images on that card, the card will have to be inserted in order for the images to be available. Isn't that right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply.  I am using a Microsoft Surface Pro, so nothing to do with MAC. The MicroSD card has not been removed, just all those months of imports do not appear in the library.  I will explore @dj_paige's suggestion, some functionality I am not yet familiar with

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I read your message again. I don't know anything about the Surface Pro either. You indicated that you found all those raw images today. Where did you find them? In Lightroom or just using your system browser? Did you actually import them using Lightroom previously?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks @dj_paige's suggestion has done the trick for me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DO NOT RE-IMPORT.

YOU WILL LOSE ALL OF YOUR EDITS AND OTHER USER-SUPPLIED METADATA.

I say that in all capitals because it is extremely important. DO NOT RE-IMPORT.

Instead, find the photos in Lightroom Library Module, and then entirely in Lightroom, drag and drop them into some folder somewhere on your SSD or hard disk. This moves the photos to the SSD or hard disk without losing your edits.

And lastly, I want to mention a couple of other details.

DO NOT RE-IMPORT.

DO NOT RE-IMPORT.

DO NOT RE-IMPORT.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines