Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Wave-line

New Here ,
Feb 05, 2018 Feb 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone

I am looking for a way to achieve this beautiful wave-like line work. I tried using the pen tool, but I wasn't quite satisfied with the result.

Anyone with a helpful tip?

Skærmbillede 2018-02-05 kl. 15.51.17.png

Best

NK.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 05, 2018 Feb 05, 2018

This is best done with the Pen tool using only 3 points. I'd recommend you give it another try.

Don't click. Always drag in the direction that you want the curve to go.

Start by pressing and dragging downward and to the right as shown by the direction lines.

Release the mouse. Then press and drag upward and to the right.

Release the mouse. Press and drag slightly upward and to the right.

If necessary you can use the Direct Selection tool to reposition the anchor points and move the direction points.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Pen tool is the normal approach, but it is baffling to new Pen tool users. You could watch some tutorials on how to create/edit bezier curves. But, do you have Photoshop 2018? The new curvature tool is much more intuitive. It lives with the Pen tool (so press and hold on the Pen tool in the tool box to select it).

Click to start a line. Move to the right and click again. (You will see a straight line.)

Screenshot 2018-02-05 07.58.27.png

Now, move further right and press and drag your mouse up or down to see a curve. Release when you like it.

Screenshot 2018-02-05 07.59.21.png

Continue pressing and dragging to see the curve in real-time.

Screenshot 2018-02-05 07.59.28.png

As a trainer, I don't think the Curvature tool replaces learning bezier curves and the pen tool, but it can postpone it.

Draw straight lines and smooth curves with precision and ease |

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is best done with the Pen tool using only 3 points. I'd recommend you give it another try.

Don't click. Always drag in the direction that you want the curve to go.

Start by pressing and dragging downward and to the right as shown by the direction lines.

Release the mouse. Then press and drag upward and to the right.

Release the mouse. Press and drag slightly upward and to the right.

If necessary you can use the Direct Selection tool to reposition the anchor points and move the direction points.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

curve.png

If working with the Pen tool (the preferred method) is a bit too intimidating at the moment. There is a work-around that mays help you.

1. Open a a file, perhaps 6” x 8”  with the Background set to Transparent.

2. Choose the Line tool. Options bar set to Pixels and Weight set to 4px

3. Hold down the Shift key as you draw a horizontal line. Fig 1

4. Select > All

5. Edit > Transform > Warp Fig 2

6. Use junction points to drag vertically Fig 3 

7. Options bar: Commit

8. Deselect marching ants Fig 4

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have Illustrator? I would do it in there - much easier and faster than fussing with Photoshop. You can make a shape as use it as a mask. In Illustrator you can draw a line and use the reshape tool or use the pencil tool or cut a box in 1/2 - so many more options.2018-02-05_10-07-23.jpeg

Melissa Piccone | Adobe Trainer | Online Courses Author | Fine Artist><br />Melissa Piccone | Adobe Trainer | Pluralsight Author | Fine Artist

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi nielsk91712409 :

It looks like one of our moderators (Randy Hufford) came along and marked one of these answers as correct before we had feedback from you. I thought you had four good—yet very different—answers to a common issue.

I'm curious which route you actually took because I think any of them can get you where you want to go. If you have time, come back and let us know. Your feedback will help future users who find this thread, looking for answers.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 06, 2018 Feb 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

I went with the option of trying out the pen tool again. It worked really well, I think I just need to get to know the tool better.

Thanks everyone for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 06, 2018 Feb 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Perfect! And thank you.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines