• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Indesign document prints as a previous version of the document - why?

Contributor ,
Feb 05, 2018 Feb 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a huge document that I have tried saving both to the cloud and to my local drive.and my file looks fine WITHIN Indesign. My edits look beautiful. I currently want to print chapter 15. But when it prints, it prints a previous version. In that print result, I see errors that I have already fixed, not the version I see on my Indesign screen that has been saved.

Note:

1. I am using Indesign Cloud.
  2. This does not happen to other documents.
  3. I have tried saving the document 'save as' to a different name.
  4. I have rebooted my computer and printer more than once.
  5. I have saved the file both to the cloud and to my hard drive.
  6. I have freed up space on my hard drive (which was very full).
  7. I have tried pdf export, pdf print, and printing directly from within Indesign with the same result.
  8. I notice that my profile with Adobe no longer has the photo I inserted, which seems strange.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Contributor , Feb 06, 2018 Feb 06, 2018

IDML, yes I did try that yesterday but it gave me a file that was a stripped down version of my document, about a third of the size, and seemed to cause to go wrong with my computer. I resisted going away but I finally deleted it.

HOWEVER, I did solve the problem. I went into my hard drive and got rid of a bunch of files and freed up a bunch of space. Then Windows insisted on doing an update and, against my better judgment, I did the update. Other than making Word my pdf default, all went well. I

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

• Are you closing the original PDF prior to choosing File > Export > Adobe PDF (Print) in InDesign?
  • Do you have View PDF after Exporting enabled so that you know the newest version of the file is opened, and you are not inadvertently selecting an older version?

Screenshot 2018-02-05 12.14.26.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not have any pdf's open when I do this.

I rename the pdf each time and also I always select "view PDF after Exporting" when using export.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I always select "view PDF after Exporting" when using export.

And the old version opens?

I have seen this with ink discrepancies. What exactly was updated in the InDesign document that isn't making it into the PDF?

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks again for your comments.

Not sure what you mean by ink discrepancies.

About the pdf: it is created very nicely - looks fine - only it reflects the file prior to the most recent updates.

Examples of what has been changed but not on the pdf or on the hard copy printed Indesign pages:

- some photos have been resized and/or moved to different pages.

- The title of one column has been deleted.

- Some text has been edited. For instance, the last sentence on one page was previously its own paragraph and now it is part of the previous paragraph.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure what you mean by ink discrepancies.

As an example, a graphic is updated in Illustrator and an ink is redefined, the file looks ok in InDesign, but the PDF uses the original ink definition. Not happening here.

Have you tried trashing preferences and/or cache?

Troubleshooting 101: Replace, or "trash" your InDesign preferences

CC 2018 InDesign—Don't Import previous settings and preferences

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have cleared the cache to no avail.

I am a bit afraid to clear the InDesign preferences with all that I read in the article you provided - sounds dangerous!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay I did it - control-alt-shift to clear preferences and I got a message asking about allow the application to write to my computer and I said yes. So I guess I did it... but the problem stil persists!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The files all recreate themselves after you restart InDesign. It's like starting with a fresh installation.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Barb: I am now pinning my hopes on figuring out how to clear the cache in my cc library.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi sivey@pdx ,

I think, one thing is left to try:

1. Export your document to IDML.

2. Open the IDML file and save it to a new name.

Check if the contents of the opened IDML reflects the contents of the InDesign document you exported the IDML from.

3. Export to PDF with that new name.

Check if the contents of the PDF reflects the contents of the saved IDML file.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 06, 2018 Feb 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IDML, yes I did try that yesterday but it gave me a file that was a stripped down version of my document, about a third of the size, and seemed to cause to go wrong with my computer. I resisted going away but I finally deleted it.

HOWEVER, I did solve the problem. I went into my hard drive and got rid of a bunch of files and freed up a bunch of space. Then Windows insisted on doing an update and, against my better judgment, I did the update. Other than making Word my pdf default, all went well. I made Adobe my default and now I seem to be back on track.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, you gave us that clue at the beginning of the thread. I'm glad that's all it was, and that you are back on track.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Googling my issue I found some site that mentioned that InDesign may behave strangely when it does not have enough free room. And all at once I realized that I had ignored some messages about space!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I notice that my profile with Adobe no longer has the photo I inserted, which seems strange.

Open your CC Desktop application and sign out, and then back in. Click where your avatar should be to sign out/in.Screenshot 2018-02-05 12.18.33.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was using a photo rather than an avatar. When I now go into my account that photo has disappeared. I just reloaded another photo and it is awaiting approval.
Why would my photo go away? had it there just fine for quite a while. It makes me wonder if my Adobe profile has been partially corrupted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried SO MANY things and no luck yet. Wow, this is a nightmare!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines