Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Reduce Size PDFs

New Here ,
Feb 05, 2018 Feb 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am using the 'save as other' > 'reduced sized pdf' to reduce the size of files that are on our server. There are a lot of files spread across a lot of folders. I was wondering if there was a way to automate this? I tried using the tools and it seems like there's no easy way to have it crawl the folder structure and reduce the files sizes without requiring input from me. Is it possible to do this? Is it possible to use an API to automate the process on a regular basis?

Thank you for any help you can give.

Preston

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 05, 2018 Feb 05, 2018

If you have Acrobat Pro you can do it using an Action, via Tools - Action Wizard.

Create a new Action and add to it a Save command. Then click the Specify Settings under that command and enable the PDF Optimizer option. Select the optimization settings and you're done. Run the Action on your files/folders to process all of them in the same way.

If you select a folder as the input option, it will iterate over all the files in it, including all sub-folders. Note that it will automatically convert no

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Feb 05, 2018 Feb 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have Acrobat Pro you can do it using an Action, via Tools - Action Wizard.

Create a new Action and add to it a Save command. Then click the Specify Settings under that command and enable the PDF Optimizer option. Select the optimization settings and you're done. Run the Action on your files/folders to process all of them in the same way.

If you select a folder as the input option, it will iterate over all the files in it, including all sub-folders. Note that it will automatically convert non-PDF files to PDFs, though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 06, 2018 Feb 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Try67. Thank you for the info. I've done this and it works but I was interested in whether or not there was a way to automate it or to have it run as a service. When I use this action I cannot use the computer until it is done. I've tried alt+tabbing and adding the program to a different desktop in Windows 10 but it swaps to Acrobat with every file that it opens to process. Is there a way to automate this task or to have it run in the background?

Right now, Save As > Reduced Size is a better option because it at least will allow me to use the computer while Acrobat works.

Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, Acrobat can't, and is not allowed to, be used as a service.

On 6 February 2018 at 15:31, prestona62021702 <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can it run in the background as a process?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No.

On 6 February 2018 at 16:33, prestona62021702 <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 28, 2023 Jun 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Try67,

is there any way to automate this process now? Please update

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 28, 2023 Jun 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Nothing has changed. Nor is it likely to change - Acrobat's license is strictly for personal use, and it's designed as an interactive tool with the low level automation already described.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines