• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Various ideas for cutting out subject from background?

Enthusiast ,
Feb 05, 2018 Feb 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm looking for some tips on cutting out the BG.  I know about magic wand, magic selector, pen etc.  For pen there has to be a better easier way.

I even tried making a layer of image and blowing out the levels to easily select the BG but that did not work.

Here is image:

test-image.jpg

Any tips?  I know there's a ton of videos out there but just like to see and hear what works best for you.  I know too that this is a easy one to do as subject does not have fluffy hair all over the place.  Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 05, 2018 Feb 05, 2018

If you are running CC2018 version 19.1.0, try clicking Select Subject. One press did this (the mask shown in black and white in the Select & Mask Workspace):

Then showing the result:

2018-02-05_21-12-00.png

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are running CC2018 version 19.1.0, try clicking Select Subject. One press did this (the mask shown in black and white in the Select & Mask Workspace):

Then showing the result:

2018-02-05_21-12-00.png

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

davescm  wrote

Dave

One of the best new features in a very long time, and incredibly clever.  It has several times surprised me with images I felt sure would be too complex for it.  I have taken to hitting the W key and using the button on the Options bar, but I'll be assigning a G-key to it when configuring the new system.

btw davescm​ SFTW5 has slipped to page 4. Do we need to bump it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is indeed clever.

I'll give SFTW a bump.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry but what is SFTW?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Deaf+Mike  wrote

Sorry but what is SFTW?

Sorry Mike - we got side tracked. STFW is Something for the weekend - a weekly Photoshop challenge on the forum that we kicked off a few weeks ago. This week's was ideal for pen tool practice. If you want to join in and have a go please do .

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK thank you appreciate it.

One more thing - any other suggestions beside select subject?  It seems like a nice option but just wanted maybe one more older way of doing it (e.g., maybe how you did it before select subject)?

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On that particular example I would have just opened Select & Mask then used the quick mask tool. If there had been more hair I might have used refine edge with it.

Not so much for this one, but it is always worth checking the channels panel for the channel with the best contrast as you can often make a mask from a channel, albeit with some additional adjustments applied to increase the contrast.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for everything appreciate it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines