• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot open my PS file with layers - Could not complete your request because of a program error

New Here ,
Feb 05, 2018 Feb 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been working on a file and now I cannot open it the message is - Could not complete your request because of a program error. Can anyone help? Why has happened to my file. I reset my preferences but that did nothing?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The file may be corrupt.  There are some downloads on the web for programs that try to fix broken layers files.   I would first copy the bad file and try to fix the copy. You could upload the file to file sharing service like dropbox and post a link to it so other can test if they can open the file.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is the link I put the files in dropbox? I don’t know how to reply back on the forum? First time…

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ufym051sxysb11a/brochure_8.5x14_double-gate-fold-sample%20front?dl=0

Kim Hunter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may be in luck.  The file has no extension.  So  I gave it one .PSD Photoshop stated wrong.  So I looked into the file the first thing I saw was PDF.  I never save PDF file from Photoshop so  I changed the file extension to .pdf Photoshop said

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thats perfect can you help me? How do I change the extension? What program do do that in?

Kim Hunter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your file has a vert long file name

"brochure_8.5x14_double-gate-fold-sample front.5x14_double-gate-fold-sample front.5x14_double-gate-fold-sample front"

That is a hell of a long name for someone like me the can not type.  I just remane the file to "brochure.pdf" and Photoshop CC 2018 had no problem openong it with the exception of Fonts I did not have installed one my machine. I could have kept your full named and added the .pdf.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One more thing - I can’t open the file I get an error so how do I change the file extension?

Kim Hunter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your file name has a period in it. Select the file name, and hit F2, and remove the part after the . and replace with "pdf".

brochure_8.5x14_double-gate-fold-sample front.pdf

You may need to display the extensions in Windows.

1) open an Explorer window (windows key - E)

2) File--> Options.

3) View tab, Advanced settings: UNCHECK "Hide extensions for known file types".

Now select your file, and hit F2, and rename to brochure_8.5x14_double-gate-fold-sample front.pdf

If Windows warns you about renaming the extension, confirm the action. Open in Photoshop.

But Photoshop threw an error when I attempted to open it. (CC2017)

It displays fine in my PDF viewer. PhotoLine opens it too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use a MAC computer. I was able to remove the . In the name and rename it with psd as the extension but when I try and open it in Photoshop it tells me - Could not complete your request because it is not a valid Photoshop document.

Any other suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not a Photoshop document, but a PDF file. Try opening your file in a PDF viewer - such as Acrobat. Illustrator does open the pdf. But you may find that parts have been flattened here and there.

I am unsure how JJMack got it to open in Photoshop - it fails for me, and throws an error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good news I went back a couple weeks in my backup and I was able to pull up my file with all the layers and I have since saved it as a PSD file.

Thanks for everyones suggestions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Your OSX most likely is hiding known File extension on you. Microsoft also does that by default . I change the default I'm a big boy I can handle  extensions and I like to know what one my machine I want to see what on my machine so I can work and not be blind.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see you have all my layers on the file you pasted? How do I get that back as a PS file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines