• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I disable text copying without disabling printing on a PDF?

New Here ,
Feb 05, 2018 Feb 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Team,

I'm trying to set permissions on a PDF file using Acrobat DC Pro on a Mac wherein copying of text is disabled but printing remains enabled, however it would seem that the two settings are inextricably linked. I do believe that you can have one without the other....otherwise they wouldn't have their own settings, right? Am I being foolish? Is it a glitch? I notice the same problem when setting security parameters in Apple Preview so there's something rotten in Denmark, but if anyone here knows how to achieve this, I would be super grateful for any wisdom or advice you can provide.

Edit: It would seem that Apple Preview is bypassing the security settings...set forth both in Acrobat Pro DC and its own Save-As-PDF security settings. Is it just that Apple Preview is too cool for school? Would love to find a way to beat it if possible.

Thanks!

Message was edited by: Christian Adams

TOPICS
Security digital signatures and esignatures

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 06, 2018 Feb 06, 2018

Generally, if you allow printing, you shouldn't bother with security at all because the user can just print to a 3rd party PDF creator and get an unsecured file.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Feb 06, 2018 Feb 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Generally, if you allow printing, you shouldn't bother with security at all because the user can just print to a 3rd party PDF creator and get an unsecured file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Feb 06, 2018 Feb 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

A little kludgy, but: You can save the PDF as Image, which will give you one image per page, then create a PDF from the images. That gives you a flattened PDF with no text to select. Of course, the user could just run OCR on the images...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines