• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Creating a clipping mask on another clipping mask?

Community Beginner ,
Feb 06, 2018 Feb 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can I create a clipping mask on a clipping mask or something like that?

Here, I already made a clipping mask for layer 2 so that it doesn't cross layer 1's boundaries.

Screen Shot 2018-02-06 at 15.59.26.png

Then here, I added layer 3 and 4. I want layer 3 to not overlap layer 1 and 2's boundaries. Then, same thing, I don't want layer 4 to overlap 1,2 and 3's boundaries.

Screen Shot 2018-02-06 at 16.00.17.png

Basically, something like this. (I used the eraser and select tool here.)

Screen Shot 2018-02-06 at 16.08.44.png

Is there a way to so that I don't have to use the eraser or the select tool because it won't be clean if I happen use a soft/air brush for the base.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 06, 2018 Feb 06, 2018

Ah, sorry, I missed the segments of 3 and 4 on the top right – I would recommend employing a Layer Mask approach, using Knockout Layers or Smart Objects.

Edit: Here an example using a Knockout Layer:

knockoutClippingMaskScr.jpg

But I think a Layer Mask on a Group might be easiest, with the bottom Layer in the Group being an unmasked Solid Colour Layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One can clipping mask more than one Layer to a base Layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I probably didn't explain better. I don't want to make turn layer 3 to layer 1's clipping mask. Even though layer 2 is already a clipping mask of layer 1, I want to make layer 3 layer 2's clipping mask as well so that layer 3 won't cross layer 2's boundary to 1. Sorry if it's still confusing...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

layerMaskGroupClippingMaskScr.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, sorry, I missed the segments of 3 and 4 on the top right – I would recommend employing a Layer Mask approach, using Knockout Layers or Smart Objects.

Edit: Here an example using a Knockout Layer:

knockoutClippingMaskScr.jpg

But I think a Layer Mask on a Group might be easiest, with the bottom Layer in the Group being an unmasked Solid Colour Layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines