Exit

New to 3D! looking to apply the same effect to multiple layers

Explorer ,
Feb 05, 2018 Feb 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey all,

I'm on a mac.

I'm creating stacked logos (multiple levels of outlines or holding shapes) in illustrator and importing them into photoshop as smart objects. I just started diving into the 3D tool and I wanted to know if I created an extrusion with an layer that I rotated and added an effect to, is there a way to copy those setting to the remaining layers so that the angles match up and I can adjust the textures and extrusions?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 06, 2018 Feb 06, 2018

The best way to ensure you select the right object is to use the 3D panel to select the object by clicking in the same way as you would select a layer in the layers panel

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Feb 05, 2018 Feb 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Did you know that you can merge several 3D layers into one so that they share the same 3D space and lighting. The extrusion objects can still be manipulated as separate objects within that single 3D layer.

Highlight the layers in the layers panel. Then go to menu 3D - Merge 3D layers. After that you can select each object from the 3D panel.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 06, 2018 Feb 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did not know that!! Thanks Dave! Once I merge the layers do I have to use a certain tool to select one of the objects in the scene? Or will just hovering over object in the scene select it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 06, 2018 Feb 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The best way to ensure you select the right object is to use the 3D panel to select the object by clicking in the same way as you would select a layer in the layers panel

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 07, 2018 Feb 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's fantastic! Thanks again Dave for the help! I'm exploring both the 3D aspects of photoshop and Dimensions. Mind blown because I've never delved into the 3D realm before. Next step is researching how to create wireframe objects! should be fun!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 07, 2018 Feb 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You're welcome.

You can create extrusions and simple mesh objects in Photoshop but if you want to get into complex mesh creation I would recommend you look at a 3D application such as Blender which will give you far more control over mesh creation.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines