• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why are my psd files opening in Illustrator instead of Photoshop?

Explorer ,
Mar 14, 2017 Mar 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For some reason, the default for all of my psd files is set to Illustrator instead of Photoshop and I don't know why. This happened since the latest Adobe upgrade. I want to change them back. How do I do that on a Mac (OS Sierra)?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 14, 2017 Mar 14, 2017

Cmd i (get info) on a PSD file and see that Photoshop is chosen as the  app it opens in. Then click on Change All to apply to all PSDs.

Screen Shot 2017-03-14 at 2.40.09 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cmd i (get info) on a PSD file and see that Photoshop is chosen as the  app it opens in. Then click on Change All to apply to all PSDs.

Screen Shot 2017-03-14 at 2.40.09 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great! Thanks! It worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And just a reminder, Bridge CC 2017 (free download) has its own File Association Settings  Preferences > File Type Associations that  differ with MacOS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 19, 2022 Oct 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi sorry to bother but i need help, the same has happened to me today after I did the update. The only thing i use windows 11. I go trough the the steps but can't figure it out. Any Help please thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 22, 2018 Jan 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone had this continue to happen after you've gone through the steps above. It seems as though it's it's not "applying to all" but still remembers to open that specific file in Photoshop thereafter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 07, 2018 Feb 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem @jackieHover i'm consistently needing to change to default my .PSD files to open with my PhotoshopCC. (Because the PSD files want to open in .AI illustrator application.) I click "APPLY TO ALL" in the info window.

It stays for a few days, and then all of a sudden in goes back to wanting to open to default that PSD files want to open with illustrator application.

This goes for all my jpeg and png images as well. i normally have them default to PSD and it defaults to mac default opening like "PREVIEW"

After this first happened I updated all my software. EVERYTHING! Mac software to the latest and PSCC to the latest and still same issue.

ADOBE WE NEED HELP!

Screen Shot 2018-02-07 at 10.03.00 AM.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 07, 2018 Feb 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm experiencing something really strange with MacOS 10.13.3 where Photoshop will drop off the "Open with..." list at random leaving Preview the default. I can go to "other" at the bottom of the list and choose Photoshop again, but randomly as in saving an image from a web page, it happens again.

I won't go into all I have tried, but it's been uninstalling CC, FireFox, testing hardware, checking for viruses and just not getting anywhere. If I find out anything...I'll be glad to post it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 22, 2018 Feb 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's FireFox. See this bug report. 1437281 - OSX dragging image to desktop changes OSX File associations

So for now don't use FireFox, especially under MacOS 10.13.3

Gene

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 02, 2018 Jun 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes! So annoying!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 02, 2018 Jun 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At this point I have upgraded to MacOS 10.13.5

I still use FireFox, so I type in "about:config" and agree to the warning. Then I search for "sandbox" and set the level from 3 to 2 so that this function does not remove Photoshop from the MacOS "Open with" list.

Screen Shot 2018-06-02 at 4.28.02 PM.png

Next restart your Mac by holding down the Shift Key on Restart. This is called "Safe Boot". Login and the "Open with" database will be rebuilt.

Restart your Mac normally and Photoshop should then be the default and stay there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 20, 2018 Mar 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, it's the most annoying thing. My PSD files generally open with Photoshop, but at random times, it will default back to Illustrator. That happened after I upgraded to High Sierra.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 20, 2018 Mar 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are using Firefox, it sometimes removes Photoshop from the "Open with..." list and PSDs default to another program that will open them, Illustrator for one.

This happens under High Sierra, but not Sierra, and it is random.

This has worked for me:

In Firefox, enter about:config in the address bar

Change the "security.sandbox.content.level" setting from 3 to 2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 11, 2018 Apr 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here 😕

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 12, 2018 Apr 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm going through this dam issue now. I'm contacting someone from adobe. I'll post my findings later.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines