• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is there a backup storage location for lightroom photos?

New Here ,
Feb 07, 2018 Feb 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My laptop died about a year and a half ago, and our tech company was only able to recover some of my photos in Lightroom.  Is there any other location where I can access the photos that they were not able to recover?  Lightroom requires a "backup" often.... was hoping that there was an Adobe location that they are backing up to.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 07, 2018 Feb 07, 2018

Short answer- No.

Lightroom works with a Catalog that is a database with information about your photos.

Lightroom only makes backups of the Catalog. (The dialog you should get when you exit Lightroom)

Your photos are separate files saved somewhere in your computer.

The backup of photos is in YOUR control  (ideally on another separate physical hard-drive!!!),  so:

If you do not have other backups of your photo files then I am sorry to say you are 'out of luck'. They may well be all totally gone.

Maybe

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Feb 07, 2018 Feb 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Short answer- No.

Lightroom works with a Catalog that is a database with information about your photos.

Lightroom only makes backups of the Catalog. (The dialog you should get when you exit Lightroom)

Your photos are separate files saved somewhere in your computer.

The backup of photos is in YOUR control  (ideally on another separate physical hard-drive!!!),  so:

If you do not have other backups of your photo files then I am sorry to say you are 'out of luck'. They may well be all totally gone.

Maybe a lesson learned and some understanding needed.

Photoshop Lightroom catalog FAQ

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/backup-lightroom-files/

As a last resort, if you see the previews thumbnails in the Lightroom library when you start Lightroom, then there is a plugin that can make photo files from the previews, but the created files will only be of smaller pixel size depending on the Previews data.

Jeffrey Friedl's Blog » Jeffrey’s “Extract Cached Image Previews” Lightroom Plugin

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines