Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Two XMP files??

Explorer ,
Feb 08, 2018 Feb 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

As you can see from the screen clip I have an odd situation.  For some reason some of my CR2 files have 2 XMP files.  Note the filename has 'filename.CR2.XMP' and then a partner 'filename.XMP'.  Can anyone advise on what I might have done to land up with this issue.
Another screenclip:

IMG_0522.CR2.xmp above has no IMG_0522.xmp file which is of some concern.

Also there is a number of files with 'tif' in the extension that also have an 'xmp' extension.  Not all files have both types of 'XMP' files but all of them have the
extension(s) 'filename.CR2.XMP' as can be seen here;

IMG_1046 to 1044 have only CR.XMP.
Note also how much smaller they are.

I'm baffled to say the least.  What is really bizarre is that this has only occurred with all my photos from a recent trip to Patagonia.  All the images in the subfolders of the main 'Patagonia' folder have this problem.  Photos I have taken since are okay.  One XMP file per CR2.

Using LR 7.1 CC and PS 19.0 on Windows 10.  I have Topaz and NIK but not all files that have 2 XMP files have been used in either of these plugins.  Besides which they both convert to TIF.

Any ideas??

Cheers

Alan

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

People's Champ , Feb 08, 2018 Feb 08, 2018

Yes. Lightroom strips the old (CR2 in your case) extension from the file name and creates a .XMP file. The <filename>.CR2.xmp files are from a different application, and Lightroom will ignore them.

Hal

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I can answer my own question but would appreciate confirmation and I will leave this here in case others have concerns.

I opened the 'filename.CR2.XMP' file with notepad and saw a load of references to 'darktable'.  Ah!!!  Some of my images have been opened with Affinity which of course is allied to DarkTable.  So I think my answer lies there.  Affinity (which I have) creates a second sidecar file for itself.

Would this be correct?

Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. Lightroom strips the old (CR2 in your case) extension from the file name and creates a .XMP file. The <filename>.CR2.xmp files are from a different application, and Lightroom will ignore them.

Hal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you Hal.

🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines