• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why are there Brush Icons on Kyle's Brushes?

Community Beginner ,
Feb 07, 2018 Feb 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I noticed that on all the sets of Kyle's brushes, there is a specific brush icon in the upper right-hand corner and it seems I can only use the associated brush of that icon.

For instance, some have the regular brush tool icon, I can't switch it to the Mixer brush tool, nor can I change the settings. Is it locked? How do I unlock them? What does that icon indicate?

Thanks!

Screen Shot 2018-02-07 at 2.30.48 PM.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would help of you showed which OS which PS, which panel, Which panel options, which add-on your using.  Looks like you showing part  of a tool presets panel where all tools preset are shown. That I do not recognize the format of.  Are you using CC 2018 or some Add-on.  In my Photoshop Tool preset panel I see the tool icon on the left and no thumbnail.   You seem to have a thumbnail on the left and a tool icon on the right

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 08, 2018 Feb 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree, that would be most helpful JJMack!

Mac OS 10.11.6 El Capitan

CC2018

Brushes Palette

Kyle's dry_media folder

No add on or plug-ins. Just loaded the abr file using the preset manager.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

In CC2018 brushes can be saved with our without an associated tool preset. The icon shows where a brush is saved with the tool and will automatically switch to that tool if selected.

In the current release, you can load the brush without changing tools by holding down Ctrl+Alt  (Cmd+Opt on Mac) and clicking on the brush

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Someday I might start using CC 2018....

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

davescm  wrote

Hi

In CC2018 brushes can be saved with our without an associated tool preset. The icon shows where a brush is saved with the tool and will automatically switch to that tool if selected.

In the current release, you can load the brush without changing tools by holding down Ctrl+Alt  (Cmd+Opt on Mac) and clicking on the brush

Dave

This doesn't seem to work, unless I'm doing it wrong.

Here are my steps:

Select Mixer Brush

Hold down Cmd+Opt

Select a Kyle's brush

The mixer brush stays selected, but the brush I select while holding down doesn't load. The previous brush stays selected.

My workaround is to save the brush as a new brush without the "Include Tool Settings" checked. I can use the brush with the mixer brush tool, but can't change any of the brushes settings although they are unlocked. I change them in the brush settings palette, but the moment I drag the brush across the canvas, the settings revert back.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using the latest version 19.1.0 r.238 released in January? The ability to load the brush without the tool preset was just added.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

davescm  wrote

Are you using the latest version 19.1.0 r.238 released in January? The ability to load the brush without the tool preset was just added.

Dave

That did the trick! My PS version was 19.0. Many thanks Dave!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You're welcome

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines