Feb 07, 2018 Feb 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I do time lapse in Lightroom CC?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 07, 2018 Feb 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What a loaded question! I have done time lapse and used Lightroom to browse through the hundreds of images. However, to my knowledge there isn't a way to actually prepare the time lapse video using Lightroom. After I prepared the 900+ images, I assembled the time lapse video using Premiere Pro. What were you expecting Lightroom to be able to accomplish? Also, are you really talking about Lightroom CC (the new cloud-based version)? Or are you talking about Lightroom Classic CC?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 08, 2018 Feb 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's possible to do in Slideshow using a template hacked with the frame rate. The method is shown here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I should've known there would be a plug-in somewhere. I just haven't been one to search for plug-ins. And I guess that's my own fault. Thanks for pointing that one out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it's not really a plugin, just using a template to force the Slide Length slider (Playback panel) to use a very short interval that corresponds to video frame rates.

There is a plugin called LrTimelapse which is more sophisticated. I have never tried it, but I believe it includes the ability to a Develop slider value gradually over a series of frames.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand now. The other issue is that I've been using a six-year-old HP computer with onboard graphics and Lightroom won't even let me do a slideshow. That's no big deal now, anyway because the USB controller is dying and it looks like I'm going to have to buy a new computer. Don't know if I'm going to do that because I'm turning 75 this year. Hard decisions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still, how do I usually do timelapses? In Premiere Pro, of course!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's pretty simple that way. But then, some of the new cameras will do time lapse right in the camera. But when I'm using an older Nikon D7100 time lapse has to be done the old-fashioned way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well if it won't break the budget go for it... there'll never be a better time! Is there a magic number that will help you make a decision? Maybe one of the ACP's can help with a recommendation to get you into a new machine on a budget...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/john+beardsworth  wrote

There is a plugin called LrTimelapse which is more sophisticated. I have never tried it, but I believe it includes the ability to a Develop slider value gradually over a series of frames.

I use LRTimelapse. It's great, and extremely effective. It can animate most of the values in the Develop panel over time, and it can smooth out flickering and even manual exposure shifts made in the middle of the time lapse capture sequence. LRTimelapse adds export presets than integrate with the LRTimelapse renderer so that you can pick up either rendered stills or a finished video clip at the end.

But the important thing for williamm52863337​ to know is that LRTimelapse works only with Lightroom Classic CC (and Lightroom 6 an earlier). This is mostly because LRTimelapse depends on the ability to write and read metadata to and from XMP files, which Lightroom CC can't do, and also because Lightroom CC doesn't currently support plug-ins.

If williamm52863337​​ is using Lightroom CC and not Classic, then the source frames need to be loaded into a video editing application like Adobe Premiere Pro that can import an imported sequence of still images as one video clip, like JimHess said. When you do it that way, the only role Lightroom CC would have is to export raw files to whatever format the video editing application supports.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 09, 2018 Feb 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.

Bill

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 22, 2019 May 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 22, 2019 May 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Next to Premiere, it is trivial to generate timelapses in Photoshop and even add pans and zooms to the time-lapse. Many tutorials on this online if you google. If you have the photography package that comes with Photoshop and not the full creative cloud subscription, that is the way to do it instead of Premiere. I would extremely strongly recommend against anybody creating timelapses in Lightroom Classic as the files the slideshow module generates are atrocious from the perspective of compression and overall quality.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines