Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problems rendering Video from PS CC 2018 Win10 x64

Participant ,
Feb 08, 2018 Feb 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone,

I know Photoshop is no Premiere or After Effects, but I am encountering several problems rendering out a video clip to which I applied some changes in Photoshop CC 2018.

The first issue I have is that the original is a MOV with Alpha that I intended to output to MOV with Alpha after the edits. But in my rendering options, I have only image sequence or H.264 (which does not accommodate transparency). Now I should have the MOV option, which I have seen demonstrated in rendering from PS, but it's just not there. What is happening please? And while I am on the subject, is there not also an option to output to uncompressed AVI which ca accomodate alpha too.

The second issue I have is that I don't get to preview the composite result: it just jumps around a few times and stops when it reaches the end (I expected a very slow process as each frame is rendered, followed by a much quicker playback when all frames have been rendered, but it just does not do that.). So I tried to loop it, thinking it had to do several passes to render all frames properly before previewing ....and I just could not get out of the loop from hell. No amount of escape, cancel, spacebar pressing etc could get me out. Taskbar End Process job. Which brings me on to...

Not having found a MOV or AVI option, I tried to test render the video to H.264. Loop from hell again: not only could I not escape or cancel the render, but I could not navigate to another window to keep working on something else (outside PS, I mean). Somehow, each frame render to disk seems to hog focus and all resources so I am completely stuck. Surely that is a bug, not a feature. So, you guesed it: Taskbar End Process.

I know some will say: use Premiere or After Effects, but I specifically want to do this in PS because I am using tools not available in other Adobe softs. Also, while I understand that any video operation is much more efficiently handled in Premiere and After Effects, I still expect PS video to work, albeit slowly. So I may be doing something wrong regarding the rendering options, but that does not explain the loop from hell issue.

I would really appreciate your pointers and suggestions, as always.

Thank you for your assistance.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are using Windows did you install Apple's Quicktime.  I did not becuse of support.  I doe nor expect to see a a Quicktime option in rendet video.

Download QuickTime 7.7.9 for Windows

Download

Important: QuickTime 7 for Windows is no longer supported by Apple. New versions of Windows since 2009 have included support for the key media formats, such as H.264 and AAC, that QuickTime 7 enabled. All current Windows web browsers support video without the need for browser plug-ins. If you no longer need QuickTime 7 on your PC, follow the instructions for uninstalling QuickTime 7 for Windows.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I have. I use it with After effects or Media Encoder. Besides, I should really see an option to render to AVI and I don't see one...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try installing QuickTime again.  I just downloaded and installed it and had a quicktime option in render video Adobe media Encoder Quicitime the encoder my animation into a .mov file. I am now uninstalling Quicktime for it is unsupported and has security issues. The size of the .mov is huge compared to a mp4

Capture.jpg

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, that's very helpful. I will try to reinstall.

Yes, the size is huge but that's the price to pay to preserve alpha channels...although I have yet to see whether he render from Photoshop actually does that.

I am still puzzled as to why AVI is not an available option. I also need to sort out the lopp from hell issue, as it makes the whole system unusable while Photoshop is rendering and that cannot be right.

Thank you very much for your posts. I will try reinstalling QuickTime tonight.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes. That works for MOV after reinstalling Quicktime. Thank you. Not sure why it was working in After Effects and Encoder but not Photoshop, but that did the trick.

If anyone has any idea about the total focus and resource hogging when rendering and/or about getting an AVI with alpha out of Photoshop, please please ley me know. I leave the thread open if that's ok, but thanks a lot for getting me up and running with the MOV

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines