• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why Lightroom CC doesn't work with WD My Cloud Home ?

New Here ,
Feb 06, 2018 Feb 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I bought a station WesternDigital My Cloud to insure the security of my 35.000 pictures. My Lightroom Classic CC refuse to work with a catalog installed on a Cloud..

An now what can I do ?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For best performance it’s ideal to keep the catalog on an internal drive. The 35,000 image files can be stored externally. The catalog file is quite small compared to the space taken up by photos and videos. Lightroom classic is constantly writing to the catalog every time changes are made and will benefit from being on an internal SSD if available.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you suggest that I would have to store the catalog file on my computer (great activity) close to the application file, and separately all the pictures files (great storage) on my Cloud Home. Please, confirm what files are to maintain stored on my mainframe (that means, thatchy do not appear longer on the Cloud Drive). Is it the catalog.lrcat only ? What to do with the parameters file? (where ?)

Truly Yours

Louis

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would suggest moving the folder for the named catalog into the Pictures folder which is the default location. The folder usually contains the .lrcat file together with previews and smart previews (if any)

After you move or copy, simply open the catalog folder and double-click on the .lrcat file to launch Lightroom Classic from the new location.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your kind answer, but it doesn't work !

I explain what I've done :

1. Previously I had all my pictures and files Lightroom in my Pictures folder on my mainframe Mac HD. It works perfectly

2. I made a copy complete (450 Go) on My WD Cloud Home in a new folder named IMAGES. It doesn't work any more. When I double-click on the .lrcat file, I see the following message :

Impossible de lancer Lightroom avec ce catalogue. Il se trouve sur un volume en réseau ou un volume sur lequel Lightroom ne peut pas enregistrer les modifications.

You see what I want : I would like to use the pictures stored on my External Cloud HD (so that I recover 450 Go free space on my Mainframe Mac)

Nota : a solution which works is to plug a standard HD on the USB connector directly to the Mac. It works well, but I loose the facilities of my Cloud system, particularly the access from my Mobile and the saving system of my RAID1 WD)

There is probably a solution with the Lightroom CC Cloud ??

In any case, please give me your opinion, and I shall use the weak solution with the External HD.

And thank you for your attention !

Truly yours

Louis

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 09, 2018 Feb 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry, but maybe I did not receive your comments to my previous message.

I would know if there is A SOLUTION or NOT to use Lightroom Classic CC with my related pictures stored on my WD Cloud.

Truly yours

Louis

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think some users may have achieved this by re-mapping the NAS or creating an alias. Check the link below for details of how to properly mount your NAS device. The guides are provided by Synology but should help with Synology, WD MyCloud, and Drobo devices.

https://www.synology.com/en-us/knowledgebase/DSM/help/DSM/Tutorial/store_with_mac

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Technically, Lightroom is not supposed to work with a NAS device.

And for the best speed and efficiency, it is best to keep the catalog on the main drive inside your computer.

That being said, I do have a friend in France who has managed to use LR with a Synology device (NAS device) and will ask him how he did it (my guess is via an alias), as we have not experimented with that as of now. If I get an answer, I will add it here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Feb 20, 2018 Feb 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Technically Lightroom does not work on a server or NAS - IF the catalog is stored on the NAS or server.

But if the catalog is in the pictures folder and the images are on the server there is no issue. (I use a Synology Server)

@HepSuker

1. Copy the Folder containing the Lightroom Catalog and the Preview files to your Pictures folder on your Mac.

2. Open the Lightroom Catalog.

3. You will see that all the images have a "!" icon in the upper right of the thumbnails and the Folders are greyed.

Screenshot 2018-02-20 23.15.25.png

4. Right Click (Ctrl+Click) on the topmost folder and select Update Folder Location.Screenshot 2018-02-20 23.16.38.png

5. Navigate to the correct folder on the WD Cloud device. Select Choose.

All the folders should now appear normal in Lightroom and the images lose all the "!" icons. The Folder that you copied containing the Lightroom Catalog and preview files can now be deleted from the WD Cloud device. It will REMAIN in your Pictures folder on your Mac.

Note: For this to be successful make sure the Cloud device is connected via the Finder first - you may have to log in after startup of if the drive enters sleep from time to time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 21, 2018 Feb 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

kentdesign  wrote

Technically, Lightroom is not supposed to work with a NAS device.

In Lr Classic CC, you may put your pictures on the NAS but the catalog needs to stay locally.

If you put the catalog on a NAS (or Dropbox), be sure not to access the catalog concurrently from more then one computer. Lightroom is not a multi-user application and you will create database problems by doing so. I suppose that is the biggest point for not putting the catalog on a NAS.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines