• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Current time Indicator isn't moving

Explorer ,
Feb 09, 2018 Feb 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now I am having this issue.. can anyone help??

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Feb 10, 2018 Feb 10, 2018

UPDATE 2/10/18

After loading a bootable version of Mac OS Sierra to a flash drive and backing up my files I reinstalled the OS

re-installed Adobe and moved over all my necessary project and plug-in files. and we are back! This has been a huge 4-5 day runaround for me. I have lost WAY too much sleep over this. I appreciate all the replies from those who managed to reply.

I am glad I was able to resolve the issue myself.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please share a lot more information about your hardware, exact software version number, OS, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using the

all white unibody MacBook 2011 8GB of RAM

2.4 GHz dual core

Nothing special but CS6 has worked in this machine before

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also I'm using adobe ae CS6 11.0.3 I had 11.0.4 but reinstalled to see if it would help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you go into a bit more detail about in what way you are experiencing this issue? CS6 has an entirely different preview architecture compared to the versions in the original thread, so we're going to need tons more info from you as the problem is very different.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The description of the issue is pretty straightforward... I need the current time indicator (CTI) to move along when I'm RAM previewing my video but its not doing that at the moment. It's just staying static... If I were to hit the spacebar effectively stopping my Ram preview the CTI instantly jumps from its static position to where it would be if it had been moving. That's how I discovered the issue. Other people have had this issue and asked about it. But to no avail.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Michael has mentioned, the Preview behavior in CS6 is quite different from newer versions of AE.

In newer versions of AE, the CTI does not move during a Preview. Instead, you have the Preview Time Indicator (PTI) which is indicated by a thin vertical red line. The PTI shows the current active frame in the Timeline and Comp Panels. The CTI stays static during a Preview, to provide a visual indicator. This indicator is useful for setting up how/when/where your Previews begin and end.

In the latest versions of AE, you can specify different shortcut keys to initiate Previews at different points in time by using the Play From menu. You can also set up shortcut keys that dictate where the CTI moves to, when your preview ends — this setting is at the very bottom of the Preview Panel.

Motion Graphics Brand Guidelines & Motion Graphics Responsive Design Toolkits

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, well it was already noted that I am not using a newer version of AE, just CS6. I understand that the previewing is different in newer versions, but I am no using a newer version, The problem is there is NO time indicator when I playback a RAM preview not a single line nothing...

So what can you do for me other than tell me something that doesn't address the problem I am having?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In newer versions of AE, the CTI does not move during a Preview.

Roland, I checked again but the CTI actually didn't move in CS6 either. there was always the red line I guess. can't remember what we had before. ignore the choppiness of my recording software:

001.gif

RAM Preview is Numpad 0 and Spacebar will play cached frames. which are you using? does it happen with just a shape layer or just this video? Op, I think it would be better if you could video capture the process. this way we can all see where exactly is the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe this will help, this is what I am seeing, when I ram preview even with the work area set away from the first frame the CTI doesn't move at all.. I cant record a video right now I have to leave in a sec but I will if I can but imagine the "0000" sample text fading in ( thats the animation) but theres NO MOVING LINE nothing, What is going on? all the preview settings are default...

Screen Shot 2018-02-09 at 4.27.26 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When did this start? what OS?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just noticed it. I think it's cause I'm using High Sierra  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 10, 2018 Feb 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not supported fir Cs6 this could be it and the other thread points to that as well

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is why I hate apple

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

UPDATE 2/10/18

After loading a bootable version of Mac OS Sierra to a flash drive and backing up my files I reinstalled the OS

re-installed Adobe and moved over all my necessary project and plug-in files. and we are back! This has been a huge 4-5 day runaround for me. I have lost WAY too much sleep over this. I appreciate all the replies from those who managed to reply.

I am glad I was able to resolve the issue myself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 11, 2018 Feb 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi AugieL:

Glad to hear that you were able to resolve your issue with a clean installation of both your OS and After Effects.

I'm running macOS High Sierra 10.13.2.  While I use AE cc2017 and and AE cc2018, I still have CS6 installed so I created a quick animated GIF to show you that the CTI and PTI should work as expected with your OS and AE configuration.  (See below.)

2018-02-10 23_35_43_ae_cs6_macOS_cti_and_pti.gif

Even though you worked it out, I figured I'd still post this.

It's important to note that support from Apple for 32-bit software is coming to an end (Apple deprecated QuickTime as a system driver for time based media in favor of AV Foundation Frameworks back in 2013).

Any workflows that involve QuickTime (which is 32-bit) or QuickTime based .mov files are unlikely to work as expected sooner or later if you're running older software.  Even if you're running up-to-date-software, QuickTime based workflows may need some modification as the support for working with QuickTime .mov files is coming from AE directly rather than the OS.

AV Foundation Frameworks based .mov files should work as expected in the Finder and in AE.

Take care,

Warren

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Aug 21, 2018 Aug 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In CS6, during a Preview, the moving red line didn't have a name. I assume there was no need to name it at that time and users just took it as the current time indicator during a preview. Things changed in CC2015 when two stop-preview options were provided - stop an on-going preview at the frame stipulated by the Play From menu (the start of the preview) or stop at the PTI . Thus, a name was required for the moving red line (Preview Time Indicator) and the Current Time Indicator had its blue line visible, throughout the preview to ensure users were better able to differentiate between the two vertical lines during a preview which would allow them to fully utilize the new Preview features.

Motion Graphics Brand Guidelines & Motion Graphics Responsive Design Toolkits

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 14, 2022 Nov 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

• Just try to set default "preview settings")

IMG_20221115_005313.jpg

 

 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 10, 2024 Mar 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

this solved my issue! The issue is I need the CTI to stop in the current time when I click the space button (pause)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines