• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Could someone do me a favour?

LEGEND ,
Feb 08, 2018 Feb 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In earlier versions of Photoshop you could go to the 'swatches' palette and delete the pre-existing swatches by holding down the 'alt' key on Windows, 'option' on the Mac. The cursor would turn to a scissor and you'd click each swatch to delete them. In CC2018 I can't get this to work which makes creating a new collection of swatches time consuming. I think it's about time Adobe provided an option to create a new collection of swatches without having to delete an existing collection of 100+ swatches, but could live with the 'scissor' method. Is this just me or is there a new way of doing this or is it a bug?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Feb 09, 2018 Feb 09, 2018

thanks Gene. That's more or less what I did, except I deleted all the swatches, but one and saved the .aco file to the desktop then transferred it to

C:\Users\<profile_name>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2018\Presets\Color Swatches

You can then replace all the swatches with a collection placeholder containing just one swatch. and build up your own collection without having to go through the deleting procedure.

replace.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hadn't notice the change Terri - but can confirm that the scissor method works in CS6 and in CC2017 but does not in the current version of CC2018 (v19.1.0)

Click and drag to the bin works as does right click then choose delete but neither are as quick as the old scissors

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Dave. Looks as if it's a bug at least on Windows. I suspect most people don't know it's there, but I like making custom swatch collections using the Adobe Color Theme extension and noticed today you needed to drag 100+ swatches to the bin before being able to save a small collection of swatches.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't see anything about it on the Feedback site Terri, so it looks like we can name this bug after you.  Terri-bug has a nice ring to it as well, so it could go viral.   I'm only pretending to know what any of that means as I am obviously far too old to know about cool stuff like that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 09, 2018 Feb 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know Trevor, last week it was 'Terri Bear' -a bear faced cheek if you ask me Now Terri-bug, what can I look forward too next week? Whereabouts is the feedback site Trevor? Is it

Photoshop Family Customer Community

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Broken on the mac side as well with CC2018 (v19.1.0).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks for the confirmation Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well I learned something new today.

I consider myself a short cut nut and have never come across this.

Hope it gets fixed!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Probably best to install 2017, use the scissors method there and export the new swatch file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks Gene. That's more or less what I did, except I deleted all the swatches, but one and saved the .aco file to the desktop then transferred it to

C:\Users\<profile_name>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2018\Presets\Color Swatches

You can then replace all the swatches with a collection placeholder containing just one swatch. and build up your own collection without having to go through the deleting procedure.

replace.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great, Terri. I knew you would find a way to fine-tune the concept.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Terri - don't know if this helps - but if you go to the swatches flyout, and open "Preset manager", you can click on the first swatch, and then shift+click the last swatch which will select all the swatches and you then have the option on the right to delete all the swatches you have highlighted...  any good?

Regards, aTomician

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Tomy. Yes that actually solves the problem completely   I could have sworn I tried that lol I must be getting old -no sarcastic comments now Trevor or I'll get Theresa May to 'nuke' New Zealand

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Haha!  I always feel old on friday...   good luck!

Regards, aTomician

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 22, 2018 Feb 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is a bug! I posted it!

Still no answer!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 13, 2019 May 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Terri,

The scissor functionality was intentionally removed because of frequent user complaints over accidental swatch deletion. We are currently investigating possible keyboard shortcuts that would be less accident-prone.

Thanks,
Hannah Nicollet

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
May 13, 2019 May 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You know it feels weird…  it must be coming up 8 years since I did my first photoshop course, and back then it was the absolute top dog.  It must have been CS4 or something, but once I got my head around it I absolutely loved it, I thought Adobe was great…   Yet in the last 4 years as I’ve been working more closely with Adobe software, I find that I’m less and less proud about their stuff…

• New versions are released with little or no testing
  • New features are added that aren’t even needed or wanted
  • Features that have been sought for, for years, are just ignored
  • Little features that are super handy like the above are removed with little or no warning

It’s just beginning to feel like a grown up version of MS paint.  Open Photoshop and you get all these little animations and tutorials pop up here there and everywhere telling you how to use it and how to get more out of it – for goodness sake!!  I thought it’s a professional program, but it seems to be turning into a kids playground…

My dilemma is….   Do I stick it out with Adobe and just keep hoping they’re going to make this good?  Or do I change now to different software while I still have time to learn something new?  I’ve been getting this haunted feeling that in 5 years’ time, I’ll be an expert in a suite of programs that are nothing more then kids toys and worthless in a professional environment.

(I'm dreading the day when they add emoticon shortcuts and a live team chat within Psd....   I think I'd give up )

Regards, aTomician

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines