Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Help! getting these lines between dark images

New Here ,
Jan 15, 2018 Jan 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HELP!

I have scanned in images which I am colouring using Ai.
When I fill with a dark colour, a thin white line is noticeable when I export to PDF or to In design.
The line is deletable but it takes ages to find and delete each one for some images.

I have to colour in some 200 separate images, i've tried everything else and the only method I have is really time consuming!
Is there anyway to stop this from happening?

Screen Shot 2018-01-15 at 15.52.11.png

Screen Shot 2018-01-15 at 16.07.23.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 05, 2018 Feb 05, 2018

You want to get rid of the white lines inside the hair?

You would just need to select the illustration and click on the pathfinder "Merge" in the pathfinder panel. This will unite all the black colored elements as long as it's the exact same black.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Felix,

If the lines have one or a few specific Stroke Weights, you should be able to select one (of each Stroke Weight), then Select>Same>Stroke Weight to delete all (of the same).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 16, 2018 Jan 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you all!

I tried all three things you said but ended up with another solution.
Screen Shot 2018-01-17 at 01.50.18.png

Jacob's idea didn't really work, as it would just delete the whole image when I tried, but it did give me the idea to change the stroke from transparent to a super thin black stroke.

Screen Shot 2018-01-17 at 01.47.32.png
seems to have worked wonders for this project!
Thanks for the ideas!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 16, 2018 Jan 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The screenshot shows you have the registration color applied.

In case you will send this for offset printing, this is asking for trouble.

It means there will be 100% of every color printed on that spot. Which is bad in almost any aspect of printing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 05, 2018 Feb 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shoot!

you're right 😕

I'm really stumped here about this problem.
when I did what I said worked it just made all the lines thicker which is also not what I want.

Does anyone know how to make this work ? 😕

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this turned out to just make all the lines thicker than they were 😕

I still need a solution..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You would need to tell us exactly what you did. And please show a comparison of line thickness.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have Anti-Aliasing turned ON in Preferences?  Is the White line in the original?  Look at your scanner settings to see if you can reduce the sharpness in the scan.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So you are scanning images and then autotracing them?

And then you fill the white parts?

What you can try is the automatic way of combining the outline with a correspoding fill:

select all and then in the Pathfinder panel click on Merge. This will unify all neighbouring shapes that share the same color.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!!
Okay, so here's the full process.

1. Drew black on white paper illustrations which we scanned in.
  2. Sent the scan through photoshop to better contrast the blacks & whites and get rid of any accidental marks.
  3. Saved the photoshop file and opened it in illustrator
  4. Selected image > Image trace > Expand.
  5. Triple clicked area outside of image and hit delete to get rid of background.
  6. Selected whole image & selected : Object > live image > make
  7. changed colour to CYMK and filled in the image with bucket tool.
  8. Saved as .ai file
  9. Opened Indesign & placed image onto card.
  10. Exported file as PDF [high quality print]

Resulting files then have the lines.

I tried to change the 'stroke' to [registration] at around 0.01 size. this seemed to get rid of the white lines but also increased the thickness of the lines by quite a large amount which also seems to effect the image.

Here is examples of the line thickness change as well as the obvious white lines on the hair in the 2nd image.

Screen Shot 2018-02-05 at 18.44.00.pngScreen Shot 2018-02-05 at 18.44.23.png

ps. I hope you don't mind the content of the images, they are just a good example!
It's for a card game I kickstarted which I need to get printed very soon.
I'm really worried though that the white lines will show up in the factory print and that would be a huge problem as we are printing 1000 copies!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You want to get rid of the white lines inside the hair?

You would just need to select the illustration and click on the pathfinder "Merge" in the pathfinder panel. This will unite all the black colored elements as long as it's the exact same black.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 09, 2018 Feb 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

So I thought the problem was solved but the white lines are still showing up between the black lines and colours.

Screen Shot 2018-02-09 at 19.19.33.png

I have tried as said above but nothing has worked for me.
Even when selecting and deleting the stroke line between the colours.

please help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's just a preview issue.

Happens when 100K gets antialiased.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try selecting the inside image remove the stroke and then use path> offset with a low positive number to expand it a small amount something like .03 or a bit larger until you covered the gap then selecting both objects trying using pathfinder to merge the two make sure you hold down alt>unite and expand.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sorry scrub the part that says path>offset and instead use object>transform>scale everything else is the same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines