• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Help! When converting images to CMYK for print, Photoshop makes images appear gray.

New Here ,
Feb 09, 2018 Feb 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[Moderator moved from Creative Suites to Photoshop .]

I know that sometimes colors will get a bit duller when converting from RGB  to CMYK, but on my computer it is much worse than on other computers. The images will get dull looking and take on a gray tone, especially in people's skin tone.

I tested with the same image on a coworkers computer, and it isn't as extreme on hers as it is on mine.

I've tried resetting my preferences and uninstalling and reinstalling Photoshop CC, but it hasn't made a difference.

Any ideas how to fix this? Is there a setting that I need turned on/off somewhere?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What CMYK profile are you using for this?

Can you show a side by side screenshot?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From Adobe RGB (1998) --> Photoshop 4 Default CMYK

I haven't made any edits to the original photo yet, just changed from RGB to CMYK.

RGB to CMYK.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop 4 default CMYK is obsolete and completely irrelevant today. It isn't used anywhere and hasn't been for years and years.

What you need to do is ask the printer what CMYK profile they want.

Standards vary in different regions around the world. Here in the EU region, for instance, most presses are calibrated to ISO standards and the preferred profile for coated stock is usually ISO Coated v2 300% (ECI). But no guarantees - some printers want Coated FOGRA39, and for uncoated stock there are yet other profiles.

In other parts of the world, different standards apply. Always ask!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmn...if it is obsolete, then why is it Photoshop CC's default CMYK colorspace?

I'll check with my printer and see what they use.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Photoshop 4 default CMYK" is not the current default. That's US Web Coated (SWOP) v2.

And that's only because there has to be some default. The SWOP standards generally apply in North and South America - but nowhere else. Since Adobe is an American company that's the one they picked.

Photoshop 4 default CMYK hasn't been valid since Photoshop 4.0 way back in...1996. That's a long time ago, long before modern color management.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

In North America you are pretty safe using the Gracol profile.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines