Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Wrong document title shows when I open a file

Explorer ,
Aug 22, 2016 Aug 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All:

I am working on an iMac using El Capitan 10.11.6. Until last week, when I upgraded to DC, hoping it would solve my problem (did not) I was using the previous version of Acrobat Pro. Regardless of version of Acrobat, whenever I open a PDF that came originally form a Word file, the wrong file title appears in the title bar above the page. Instead of "BigFile-Client ABC-2016" the title will be what it was in Word the first time I made the file "BigFile-GENERIC-2009" Even if I resave the file, add or subtract security, close and reopen, the name in the title bar is still wrong, and always an old name from years ago. This is a problem since I am customizing the same document for different clients and changing the names so I can tell them apart. Oddly enough, if I save and close the file, it appears in the desktop with the correct name and this does not happen at all with files that were originally made in InDesign. This problem just started a couple of weeks ago. Any ideas? What could have changed to cause this to just start happening?

TOPICS
Create PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 12, 2016 Oct 12, 2016

If you get the right title in the source document in Word (or even blank), that would automatically be carried over when you create PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Aug 22, 2016 Aug 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the problem file, what does it show when you select: File > Properties > Description > Title

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 04, 2016 Oct 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry it took so long to get back. Anyway, under File> Properties > Description > Title it shows the old messed up title, and I can change that and then go to Initial View > Show > Document title to get what I want, but these files (and there are thousands of them) get changed regularly in their original program, which is Word. That means every single time I update the document I have to go into Properties and mess around with all this stuff? This was not a problem in earlier versions of this software. Isn't there some Preference I can set to make Acrobat always read the Filename and not the Document Title?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 05, 2016 Oct 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's no preference. If a file has a title Acrobat has always assumed It is more meaningful than the filename. Nothing has changed there so perhaps what has changed is that the way you make PDF files is now setting this title, and it wasn't before. It's coming from Word, I guess.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 18, 2019 Dec 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me.

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 24, 2019 Dec 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi George I have the same problem except that the Adobe file does NOT allow me to save a new name when I am in File > Properties > Description > Title

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 24, 2019 Dec 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My daughter helped me to figure it out - I have to go to the source Word document that had preserved that title and change it there first before converting to PDF. Thanks! Problem solved! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 06, 2021 Jan 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please tell me how you did it? I have no idea how to change that. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 06, 2021 Jan 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Word go to File - Info, and on the right you'll see a Title field.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 22, 2021 Feb 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot, it worked for me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 30, 2022 Mar 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was soooo helpful! I was having the same problem! With mutiple files! I guess I likely saved as to create the documents and it made the same weird title for all of them. I have no idea how that title ever got there, and I still don't know what it will do for new documents but at least I know how to fix it now. Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 16, 2022 Mar 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

George, RPMerchant, I work in Adobe Pro. Then Adobe does allow to save the new name following the above procedure. (It is not a very logic preset feature at all though that Adobe shows the title instead of the filename)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 01, 2023 Jun 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the best answer. No need to go into Word. as @rpmerchant said... File > Properties > Description > Title

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 11, 2016 Oct 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

File > Properties > Initial View > Windows Options

Show: Choose File Name rather than Document Title.

But it seems that when converting MS documents to pdf, the default setting is always Document Title.  So it's a pain to have to change this setting for each pdf document, but for each document, you only need to change once. 

I believe it's more of MS's side to set the default show setting being FileName or DocumentTitle. 

I did some test, if you use "Print" to PDF, the default show setting will be FileName.

If you use "Save As" to convert to PDF, the default show setting will be "DocumentTile" which is carried over from the Title field in MS Word/Powerpoint.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 12, 2016 Oct 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you get the right title in the source document in Word (or even blank), that would automatically be carried over when you create PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 16, 2020 Jan 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This just isn't the case in my situation. My pdf doc has exactly the same filename as the Excel doc it came from, and it comes up with something different. I don't know where the pdf title is coming from but it is a problem. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, I think it's an old filename for the Excel spreadsheet. Not sure how Adobe is even seeing it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

May be it is the title in the Excel file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 11, 2021 Mar 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Documents can have the same title but different versions like numbers in the filename. Intead of always putting the failure on other software, ,Adobe should tell us where to find the setting in Acrobat Writer where we can choose if the tab shows the filename or the document title. I've seen this question over and over on internet butnever seen a good answer from Adobe!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's no such setting at the app-level, only the doc-level.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can specify this in the preferences of Adobe Acrobat DC and Acrobat Reader DC. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 21, 2022 May 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not true. This is not the correct answer. Or, at least, it is not the correct answer if the source document is already a PDF document (which I have not created and for which I don't have access to the original Word document) and I try to change its name to a new one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 29, 2019 Oct 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much!

Print to .pdf is a great solution for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 22, 2017 Mar 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not correct.  I renamed an MS ppt document and still had the same issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 22, 2017 Mar 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not correct? The point was about Word documents, not PPT documents, and said nothing about renaming. Anyway, it's down to the software that makes the PDF. If it puts the wrong title, then Acrobat will happily show it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines