Unable to right click convert to PDF unc path

Community Beginner ,
Feb 09, 2018 Feb 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Acrobat Pro DC 2017 Classic - 17.011.30070

Office 2016 Pro Plus x86 - 16.0.4266.1001

Windows 10 - 1703

I have one user who is having a weird issue where she cannot created pdf documents from the unc path.  She is right clicking on documents from her desktop or documents folder that is redirected via gpo via policy.  So far only one user is hacing this issue and if i log in as test or other users on her machine they do not have the issue.  I have ruled out the machine since i can repro the issue with her account on multiple machines.  i have Rulled out the app since i have done a repair and the issue happens on other machines with her account.  I have ruled out the documents since most are test documents i have created to prove the problem.

Seems to be office applications mostly since i am able to convert using the unc path with a txt file.

Running processs explorer i see the command - "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat 2017\Acrobat Elements\Acrobat Elements.exe" "FILENAME"

I did a test by opening a command window as the user and running this to confirm the issue.

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat 2017\Acrobat Elements\Acrobat Elements.exe" "<COMPANY>.com\<OFFICE>\HOME\<DEPT>\<USER>\Testing.docx"

I receive this error when it points to a unc path

---------------------------

Create Adobe PDF

The file you have selected for conversion doesn't have any data (Zero length file).

Please select another file.

OK  

open a cmd window as the user and run this with the network letter, it works.  On the same document no problem

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat 2017\Acrobat Elements\Acrobat Elements.exe" "<NETWORK DRIVE LETTER>\Test\Testing.docx"

The user can

print to pdf from office apps - saving to unc or drive letter - no problem

convert from inside adobe, from inside office apps using acrobat ribbon - saving to unc or drive letter no problem

Open pdf / office documents via cmd line to unc or drive letter no problem

combine pdf documents via right click - from desktop (unc path) or drive letter no problem

**convert txt documents from desktop via right click, just not office applications**  - not sure why a txt works with unc and office documents dont

antivirus was disabled and issue was reproducible

distiller opens no problem

all acrobat jox options tested with deleted or copy from working machine

all pdf print settings reset ( happens across multiple machines)

We dont have much in AD for any folder redirection / profile or account settings, all is done via gpo and there are only a few settings

The problem is our home drives are redirected via gpo to the unc path for each user

This is the only user who has this problem.  it is not the machine, the profile, or the policy since it does not work for her only on several machines.  She has rights to create edit or delete from the location - usually the desktop or documents folder is the document location

I have tried everything

Repro with same user on different machines, physical and virtual

disable all profile systems

disable any folder redirection

disabled any sync services

not an issue with another user on the same machine

disable different

cleared out the app data folders on multiple machines

exported and imported working reg keys from working machines

cleared out class id keys

confirmed same keys exist in her account as working accounts.

Made sure there was not synch or anything synching through work folders

repair install on each machine for acrobat already run

clean install already run

reset security rights on network drive.

Are there any logging options that i can set on acrobat elements to see where this problem is?

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 17, 2022 Feb 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there!

I have been having this issue with certain files, normally Publisher or Powerpoint, but never got to the bottom it.  Just had it again, and as my machines are down thought I would check it out again as my next plan was to look into a macro that might do it?  If you can help with that, that would be great too!

I have read everything above and didnt understand a word of it!  This has been going on since about 2005 BTW but just put it down to the files I was sent, as I do now.  I dont think Acrobat is to blame!

Have a great day! Terry

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 08, 2024 Feb 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm also having this problem after recreating a user profile on their home computer. 
This is for an older no-longer-supported verions of Acrobat Pro X. 

There were two changes between the app working and not working. 
I had added a backup server link to the user's profile so that their files were stored remotely on an external server. 

• I had recreated the user profile.
  • Dragging copies of the Adobe settings files from AppData > Local, LocalLow and Roaming didn't fix the issue.
  • I checked the registry application keys for the supported software version - were the correct settings. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines