• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Best way to combine layers (beside each other, not merging)

New Here ,
Feb 10, 2018 Feb 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there !

I'm very new to Photoshop, a few hours of practising so far, this software is awesome

Well I'm exercising on simple projects, and I have a trouble doing that : put 2 different layers of the same size (size of my workspace) on the same layer, just one beside the other.

I know how to merge them as I've followed the tutorials, but this is not the goal here.

An image is often more explicit :

Sans titre.png

Thanks !

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 10, 2018 Feb 10, 2018

Hi

You will need to increase the size of your canvas so that both images will fit side by side (use menu Image >Canvas Size)

Then position each layer so you can see both.

If the top layer does not have transparency - select the wanted part with the rectangular marquee tool - and go menu Layer>Layer Mask >Reveal Selection).

That will add a mask to the upper layer allowing the lower layer to show through ( layer mask shows the layer where the mask is white and shows the layer(s) below where the mask i

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am afraid I don’t understand the problem.

Are the two images two Layers in the same file already or do you need to place them yet?

Do you need to duplicate the image Layer (cmd-J) first and apply the color correction to it or …?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

You will need to increase the size of your canvas so that both images will fit side by side (use menu Image >Canvas Size)

Then position each layer so you can see both.

If the top layer does not have transparency - select the wanted part with the rectangular marquee tool - and go menu Layer>Layer Mask >Reveal Selection).

That will add a mask to the upper layer allowing the lower layer to show through ( layer mask shows the layer where the mask is white and shows the layer(s) below where the mask is black)

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Dave ! So I understand that I always have to use layer masks in order to do things like that ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could also delete the excess data but that is often a bad idea.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, thanks to both of you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

As cpfaffenbilcher said - it is best to use masking wherever you can. A mask can be undone and altered later (even years later if you save the document in a format that supports layers (such as psd). Whereas cutting out areas is a destructive step which can only be undone by stepping back through history and that history is lost once you save the document.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines