Edit in Photoshop doesn't return the edited file to Lightroom CC

New Here ,
Nov 11, 2017 Nov 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steps to replicate

• Choose original RAW, Edit in Photoshop / Command + E
  • Save edits, close edited file
  • New TIFF isn't created in Lightroom CC, neither is edited file shown in Photoshop CC recent files list/dashboard

This happens 50% of the time, sometimes they work and return the edited files fine. The times they don't work, all changes are lost and no error message or notification is given. Contacted Adobe support regarding this issue the first time and they tried setting folder permissions to world writeable but that didn't solve the issue

System info:

MacOS High Sierra on Macbook Pro

Lightroom CC 2018 (Cloud version, not classic version)

Photoshop CC 2018

Any idea anyone?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 11, 2017 Nov 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i think i did have a similar issue, fixing permissions seems to have taken care of it for me....

since upgrading to high sierra i have ru into several issues related to permissions, and now apple has limited access to fixing things (cant change permissions to root anymore)

not sure who is to blame, usually we, the consumer are stuck in the middle in situations like this....but i am pretty sure that adobe is already working on an upgrade to LR CC, it scares me a little to think about how many niggles have to be ironed out now that the release is out in the wild and people actually are using it......

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 11, 2018 Feb 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

did you ever find a solution to this problem? I am knew to Mac and I don't really know my way around yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 12, 2018 Feb 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From Lr Library select thumbnail and use Cmd+E

Edit in Photoshop and use Cmd+S to save

Press Cmd+W to close in Photoshop and send back to Lightroom

N.B you must use save or Cmd+S, not “Save As” as that will create a new document which Lightroom will know nothing about.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 10, 2018 Mar 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm now having this same problem. I've been editing Lightroom photos in Photoshop for months and it had been working just fine. All of a sudden yesterday, it just stopped displaying my edited, saved photos (originally opened in LR) from Photoshop in Lightroom. I haven't made any changes to my LR or PS settings that I know of.

It's frustrating to say the least.

Update: I closed out LR, re-opened, and re-imported the images. Tried again to edit one in Photoshop, then saved the edits. Now it IS displaying the edited photos in LR, yay!

I think I had previously opened the images (which had already been imported to LR) from "Collections", then tried to edit them in PS. And for whatever reason, this doesn't display edits from PS even if you choose > Edit in Photoshop 2018 > Edit with Lightroom Adjustments.

Maybe this will help someone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 10, 2018 Mar 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to confirm, are you talking about Lightroom CC (the new cloud-based version)? Or are you talking about a different version such as the more traditional folder based Lightroom that has been around for a few years?

If you're talking about the new Lightroom CC, I just did a round-trip with a NEF file. The TIF file was returned to Lightroom CC as expected. I'm using Lightroom CC on Windows 10.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 23, 2023 Oct 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How?  What were the steps you followed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 24, 2023 Oct 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You’ve posted to an ancient thread. It is highly unlikely that the issue described in this thread, though not impossible, is the same one you are currently experiencing. Rather than resurrect an old thread that is seemingly similar, you are better off posting to a new thread with fresh, complete information, including system information, a complete description of the problem, and step-by-step instructions for reproduction. 

If the issue is the same, we will merge you back into the appropriate location. 

Thank you!

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 08, 2020 Dec 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This just happened to me with LR Classic 10.1 wherein you select "Save a Copy", edit the copy, but the copy is not saved back to LR.  This assumes you are opening images from a catalogue. The following procedure worked for me:

1. SELECT AN IMAGE YOU WANT TO COPY IN A LIGHTROOM CATALOGUE.
  2. LOCATE THAT SAME IMAGE IN ITS FOLDER
  3. SELECT EDIT A COPY FROM THE FOLDER IMAGE
  4. EDIT THE IMAGE IN PS AND SAVE. IT SHOULD SAVE BACK TO THE FOLDER.
  5. DRAG THE NEW SAVED IMAGE BACK TO THE  CATALOGUE CONTAINING THE ORIGINAL IMAGE. THAT SHOULD TEACH THE PROGRAM  TO SAVE FUTURE EDITED COPIES. YOU MAY NEED TO RESTART.

I hope this works. Good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 15, 2023 Jun 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

To address common issues related to Edit-in errors, please refer to the following troubleshooting article: https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/troubleshoot-edit-in-errors.html?cgen=6JMR79DQ&mv=other

Let us know if that helps.

Thanks,

Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines