• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Issues with selection and fill

Community Beginner ,
Feb 12, 2018 Feb 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having trouble with filling a selection. So, I selected an area using the elliptical marquee tool. Then I went to fill the selection with black. Instead of filling the selection with black, it filled the opposite - the whole screen minus the selection. Then I hit CTLR-I to invert the selection. That turned the screen white.
What I was expecting is to see the photo with the selected area black.
What am I doing wrong? Screen shots below.

PhotoshopSelection1.JPG

Fill Whole Screen.JPG

Invert Fill Shows White.JPG

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Feb 12, 2018 Feb 12, 2018

Sorry to reply to my own post, but you are correct regarding the shortcut, its actually select-inverse which is shift-ctrl-i. This still does nothing.
I am not sure how to to rid of a previous "select all" other then Ctrl-D to deselect.
Missing something obvious!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then I hit CTLR-I to invert the selection. That turned the screen white.

That’s Image > Adjustments > Invert, inverting Selection is ctrl-shift-I if I am not mistaken.

The third screenshot shows the Tool is set to »Subtract from selection« in the Options Bar.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm, the 3rd screenshot does show subtract from selection, but changing it, unfortunately, changes nothing. I did try ctrl-shift-I, but this does nothing. Looking at the menu option shows it as ctrl-I. Screen shots below. Invert Fill Shows White.JPG

CTRL-1.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry to reply to my own post, but you are correct regarding the shortcut, its actually select-inverse which is shift-ctrl-i. This still does nothing.
I am not sure how to to rid of a previous "select all" other then Ctrl-D to deselect.
Missing something obvious!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It inverts the Selection – this may not be noticable if you don’t view the whole image and the original Selection’s borders are at the canvas’ edges.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the replies, starting over after removing the layer worked perfectly. Not really sure why. For sure I was making a mistake about inverting the selection.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you may have used the wrong shortcut.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also a Select All-selection might still have been active.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines