• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

The New 657 page "Adobe InDesign CC Help" Book is a Free Download

Advocate ,
Feb 10, 2018 Feb 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Need Adobe’s “Help”? We’re referring to the user manuals, which Adobe calls “Help.” Adobe had been frequently updating these as PDF books.

This week, Adobe has started to release the first set of CC books since June 2016 (they’re free downloads):

* Adobe Illustrator CC Help (639 pages): http://helpx.adobe.com/pdf/illustrator_reference.pdf

* Adobe InDesign CC Help (657 pages): http://helpx.adobe.com/pdf/indesign_reference.pdf

* Adobe Photoshop CC Help (960 pages): http://helpx.adobe.com/pdf/photoshop_reference.pdf

They’re promising more of these books, next month, to create a complete library for the family of apps, which come with the full CC subscription.

Some of us remember when printed books came with the apps when they were sold in boxes with DVDs or floppy disks.

But, why do we need user manuals in a digital age? Can’t you just get this stuff online? We have not tested every topic in the books, but historically, the books were a compilation of what you can search for on Adobe’s Support site: http://helpx.adobe.com. For many of us in ongoing higher education, books are a far more effective than topics online. The power of Adobe Acrobat allows us to electronically mark-up these electronic PDF documents, so they become something like a physical workbook. Acrobat DC’s editing power allows users to add digital sticky notes, do marker highlighting, scribble notes, etc. on computers and mobile devices.

These books offer a great essential resource to corporate and governmental subscribers, who are surrounded by deep security, in an environment where Internet access is not provided.

As big as those books are, we know of people who have them printed. These books are that important. For wise people studying for certification exams, they study these books cover to cover. They’re indispensable references for consultants, authors, and presenters, too. These books are Adobe’s official word on the use of their apps.

So, thank you, Adobe. We hope other of the key media technology product suppliers will take notice and follow your lead.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for this!

If someone inquires guidelines for a specific function, I usually refer to the relevant online Help page. Under what circumstances would I refer to this compilation as well? Is it suitable for beginners? Intermediate users?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/%5BJongware%5D  wrote

Thank you so much for this!

If someone inquires guidelines for a specific function, I usually refer to the relevant online Help page. Under what circumstances would I refer to this compilation as well? Is it suitable for beginners? Intermediate users?

You are quite welcome.

If someone wants a quick answer to a simple topic, the specific help page is best.

However, by way of example, if you have a question about creating buttons for InDesign interactivity, and you have a sense that they're new to more than just buttons, you might want to suggest they browse Chapter 8 in the book.

For beginners, Chapter 1 introduces them to the app.

So, I would hope it reaches a broad spectrum of users.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks for the tip, I downloaded them immediately

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

teachbit  wrote

thanks for the tip, I downloaded them immediately

You are quite welcome.

Janet & I love when we come up with a topic which gets traction.

We also hope Adobe sees enough downloads to make them say, "HEY! There's a hunger for this stuff."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Brian! Good idea posting this here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Feb 11, 2018 Feb 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Steve+Werner  wrote

Thanks, Brian! Good idea posting this here.

The user manual, in media technology, has become a unique animal. Janet & I feel there's story to tell on why this is a valuable resource for serious users to have.

We what CC subscribers to grow in proficiency.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Feb 12, 2018 Feb 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a quick tip for InDesign subscribers to Creative Cloud:

Make the new manual your reference resource with Acrobat DC. Use the Comments and Highlighting feature, create links, etc. Make it into a workbook.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another tip (the main way I use it). Use the Advanced Search feature in Adobe Reader or Acrobat (Edit > Advanced Search). Cmd/Ctrl + Shift + F. Enter what you're searching for. It will quickly give you a list of all instances of the search term throughout the document.

Acrobat Pro DC022.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Steve+Werner  wrote

Another tip (the main way I use it). Use the Advanced Search feature in Adobe Reader or Acrobat (Edit > Advanced Search). Cmd/Ctrl + Shift + F. Enter what you're searching for. It will quickly give you a list of all instances of the search term throughout the document.

Funny story: I'm looking at that tip and I'm thinking, "Someone taught me using the power of that feature set around 4-½ years ago."

And then it came to me: It was Steve Werner!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Brian

thank you for these links - my preferred method of learning software has always begun with reading the manual - I really appreciate having easy access to these - I've downloaded all three.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SJRiegel  wrote

thank you for these links - my preferred method of learning software has always begun with reading the manual - I really appreciate having easy access to these - I've downloaded all three.

Once we start working with the manuals, the location of certain information becomes cemented in our brains. So, we know right where to go.

If we go there enough, the content of that information becomes glued into our neurological pathways, too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SJRiegel  wrote

Brian

thank you for these links - my preferred method of learning software has always begun with reading the manual

+1

Thanks so much. Software manuals were always a cover-to-cover read for me back when software came in a heavy box. I won't say where I was sitting most of that time...and you shouldn't imagine it either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

https://forums.adobe.com/people/John+Mensinger  wrote

Thanks so much. Software manuals were always a cover-to-cover read for me back when software came in a heavy box.

The heavy box came with all sorts of cool goodies (posters, specialty book, etc.

Such things don't have a place anymore but all of that had some special inspirational qualities to it. There isn't a replacement for that in a downloadable environment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines