• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to manually move all your preferences files to another CC app installation?

Explorer ,
Dec 03, 2017 Dec 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just updated my Apps (Illustrator & Photoshop to be exact) to CC 2018 and for some various strange reasons, the update installed duplicated to the existing old update, so I have both PS and AI in CC 2017 & 2018, and  my preferences and brushes, shapes and such library's, plugins, workspaces etc. didn't transfer over automatically (from my older versions).

I'm wondering how I can do this manually.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Dec 03, 2017 Dec 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I ran into the same thing tonight. It does look like the old applications themselves (CC 2017) got uninstalled, but they left behind the plugins and custom items in a folder.

Here's an article I found about (Photoshop specifically): Photoshop actions, presets, settings, or plug-ins are missing

Here's how to manually move stuff over: Migrate presets, actions, and settings

I'll be doing the same thing you are. Please let us know how it goes!

Buck

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 05, 2017 Dec 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any replies yet for Illustrator?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 08, 2018 Jan 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moving to Illustrator

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 11, 2018 Feb 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

wouldnt it be nice to get some actual info from the Staff instead of just gettting a "move" notice???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 12, 2018 Feb 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

During the install of CC 2018 an Advanced Options pull-down menu appears. Within that menu is an option to remove old versions plus an option to keep previous settings and preferences. By default both of these are checked. This is why old versions have been automatically deleted by those who were not aware that they had a choice in the matter. The second option, however, to retain old preferences has, for many people, been the cause of slow and dismal performance for the new version of the program. So it has turned out to be better not to pick up your old preferences. To read more about this and how to deal with the poor performance from using old preferences please see this post from the Illustrator FAQ: CC 2018 Illustrator—Don't Import previous settings and preferences .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so the best Adobe can do is to advice its customers to NOT use the methods they themselves provide for professionals to keep their production pipeline seamless during needed upgrades??? Really?

And that´s supposed to make me feel good about your product and support, Adobe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bill does not work for Adobe, but he was kind enough to relate some anecdotal evidence of performance issues seen when old preferences are retained in CC 2018 installations. Because we're both regulars here, I happen to Know Bill has been watching this situation religiously and offering good advice based on his findings and those of others. He helped me with it.

You can fry Adobe here on practice and principle all you want—it's been done to death—but it's pretty doubtful the company will make any business decisions based on that. When you post here, you're addressing mostly fellow users, many of whom volunteer their time to help people who need it. Gratitude is optional, as is trashing Adobe, but it works best when we all strive to at least keep it productive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, John. I couldn’t have put it better myself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is so nice to know that they are all so savely tucked away, using the well meaning and caring as shields. I m sorry guys. I m so bloody frustrated. And I want to add that I have not accused Bill of anything. I was about as nondirectional personally as I can. But this is exactely what gets my go so hard. There is NO ONE, one as a user can ever get on a direct line. Never. And its always the other users who have the answers. Never the ppl who take our money. So forgive me for showing emotion here. I know one professional here, and she is the ONLY one I know who dependably has AI answers for sure. So apologies Bill, if that felt personal. It wasnt. And for frying Adobe, John, is "just shut up and eat it" satisfying and really just all the user can do anymore?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No problem. Believe me, I understand what it means to be frustrated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Redbbwolf  wrote

John, is "just shut up and eat it" satisfying and really just all the user can do anymore?

Of course that's neither all the user can do, nor the underlying message of my post. To reiterate, you can indeed fry Adobe all you want here; but whether it will have a positive effect outside of your psyche is debatable.

Adobe is welcoming constructive, Illustrator-specific user feedback here: Adobe Illustrator Feedback

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines