Jan 10, 2018 Jan 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey guys,

I have a 2017 27" iMac, specs:

4.2 GHz Intel Core i7

40 GB 2400 MHz DDR4 RAM

Radeon Pro 580 8 GB Graphics

This machine shouldn't break a sweat with Photoshop, however Photoshop is performing the worst I've ever encountered this example is only a 350mb Photoshop file, with about 56 layers (most flattened with a mask) in 20 groups and 5200x3500px.

• When using a brush or eraser tool, it lags so much that it takes nearly a minute to complete the stroke – then doesn't even follow the stroke I made!

• Zooming in nearly crashes the file.

• After about 5 mins of trying, PS just stalls and wont do anything. Open Force Quit Apps and it doesn;t show PS as not responding either.

I've tried using it with the 'Use Graphics Processor' unticked and it runs even worse!

30gb of RAM alocated to PS.

Using default History & Cache

Scratch disk has 1.2tb spare

I never use flick panning or scrubby zoom, or any of those kind of features.

Would this benefit if I got an external SSD to use as a scratch disk?

What is going on here?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
replies 106 Replies 106
Community Expert ,
Jan 11, 2018 Jan 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What have you done for trouble-shooting so far?

Restoring Preferences after making sure all customized presets like Actions, Patterns, Brushes etc. have been saved might be a good starting point:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/basic-trouble-shooting-steps.html

And what, aside from turning off GPU usage, have you tried with regard to Performance so far?

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/optimize-photoshop-cc-performance.html

As for the brush behaviour have you tried turning off Smoothing? (Though I think I have observed possibly similar brush »catch-ups« myself with no connection to that feature.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 11, 2018 Feb 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm, funny you should say that. I have also noticed that Photoshop CC 2018 is extremely slow to respond. So much so that i thought it had frozen up on me. Just trying to get it to print an image and selecting printer profiles seems to cause wait times of a minute or more for a response to a mouse click.,. I also have a copy of CS5 which is so much quicker by comparison. I have a 6 core cpu and plenty of RAM so its not a hardware issue. Very strange

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 11, 2018 Feb 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a 6 core cpu and plenty of RAM so its not a hardware issue. V

While I certainly can’t rule out the possibility of actual Photoshop issues mentioning your hardware proves nothing.

What are Photoshop’s performance related settings?

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/optimize-photoshop-cc-performance.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 12, 2018 Feb 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many thanks for the link. I have made appropriate performance adjustments and will see how I now get on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 17, 2018 Apr 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My print settings have slowed to a 5 minute crawl uphill carrying bricks while its hands are superglued to the pavement!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 03, 2018 Mar 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just chiming in that CC 2018 is also extremely slow for me despite having a computer that should be able to handle it easily - even on small files. It hit the point where it was too frustrating to use and I downgraded to CC 2017, which was lightning fast in comparison.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 20, 2018 Mar 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same for me. Just updated a week ago and it feels like Photoshop just got up and needs a dozen espressos. So slow to do a lot of even the most basic of tasks.

While I certainly can’t rule out the possibility of actual Photoshop issues mentioning your hardware proves nothing.

I'm sorry but that's just not true. If the hardware hasn't changed and the issues are arising since a software update, then you can pretty much rule out hardware, and rule in software being the core of the issue. I do get the point you're making though, but if hardware didn't matter it wouldn't be one of the first things the staff here want to know when a user encounters problems. I've been using Photoshop since Photoshop 7 and have it optimized to the hilt (right down to thumbnails off in the layers panel) and CC 2018 is like swimming uphill through tar.

Gonna give it another day and then doing what Lurial​ has done and downgrade to CC 2017 again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue. I just got a band new iMac and I just redownloaded Photoshop and my working is taking me 10X's what it should. So much lag in between operations,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did not know you could not edit, here is my edited version:

I am having the same issue. I just got a brand new iMac and I just redownloaded Photoshop and my working is taking me 10X's what it should. So much lag in between operations, simple things like zooming in and out. I was worried it was my new machine but I see this and also so another person I know on FB having the same issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 05, 2018 Apr 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try to install photoshop 2015.0.0 - it's last normally working version.

photoshop 20150529 r.88

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 10, 2019 Jun 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I posted a question on how we can go back to 2015 to upload without disks. I'd be very happy to go back myself, if it's faster than this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 07, 2018 Apr 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I paid 800 dollars for all of the apps...and I've had to DOWNGRADE to my CS3 versions to complete my work. Cost me 3 extra hours of work from all the crashing and slow performance. What a disappointment. I'll be requesting a refund if this doesnt get resolved. I look like a fool for telling my work to upgrade.

Short term answer is to uninstall and downgrade. They know about this issue and just deflect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 12, 2018 Apr 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aye, this CC subscription is getting beyond a joke. Every time a new update comes out paying customers have relentless, needless issues that infringe on our ability to do our jobs. There's no need for half of these updates, PS CC 2018 is virtually unusable for any creative professional, full of more bugs than the underside of a damp log. I'll be requesting a refund too and might very well wave goodbye to Adobe and move to Affinity apps instead.

Adobe mindset: 'Oh, thanks for all your hard earned money, shops closed now, f*ck off, bye bye.'

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 12, 2018 Apr 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is my though exactly. And so far, affinity has been has powerful and so much more fast then adobe photoshop. I am starting to switch has this photoshop is just becoming a stupid joke. Illustrator is so buggy that i cant even work on my job without having to create 10 different files, similar project has gotten me no problem so far under affinity app. and even adobe premier pro and audition always crash on me for small job.... i am trying right now blackmagic resolve 15 and so far.... not gonna go back to adobe.... the only thing that keep me with adobe is the impossibility to get a company to make has much of a good program has indesign..... I'm waiting for 2019 for affinity.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 13, 2018 Apr 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since the latest Photoshop update, I've been experience brush lag. I have an XPS 13 and Wacom Intuos tablet. My setup exceeds the minimum requirements to run Photoshop, and I've tried the recommendations on the "Photoshop lags, freezes, or runs slowly" support page. I'm not sure what else to try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 16, 2018 Apr 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it possible you are running a plug-in that is slowing it down? I noticed an immediate slowdown after I installed the ScriptListener plug-in. Once I uninstalled it, Photoshop went back to its speedy self.

Try uninstalling your plug-ins and re-installing them as you need them.

Mac OS:

• Applications\Adobe Photoshop [Photoshop_version]\Plug-ins\

Windows:

• (32 bit): Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop [Photoshop_version] (32 bit)\Plug-ins\
  • (64 bit): Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop [Photoshop_version]\Plug-ins\

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 16, 2018 Apr 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, just thought I'd chime in. I'm having a lot of lagging after the update too, but I went to Applications, Adobe Photoshop, Plug-ins, General... nothing. No plug-ins.

I'm very frustrated with the brush lag I'm experiencing.

Hope to see a patch/solution to this soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same for me..... but the most noticeable is the near 5 minute wait for the print dialogue to appear when i need to print.
I then click printer settings> another 3 - 5 minute wait...
and so it goes until eventually printed the document.
This has ONLY started to happen since the latest update.  I use PS every single day and print too and have never encounter this before.
Photoshop is still nice and quick.. but I did lose ALL my personal settings, brushes, fonts etc... this was a very unprofessional update from Adobe. 
But the print settings at the mo is diabolically unusable.
Anyone else noticed this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My printer dialogue opened quickly, but we don't have any ink so I wan't able to test the whole process.

Sorry to hear you lost your brushes(!) that's unacceptable. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the problem where I go to place an image it takes forever to load with The green  bar and then when it finally loads all the way it won’t place is there a way someone can help me?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 19, 2018 Apr 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,  photoshop CC 2018  is extremely slow,  my question is how do I re-install photoshop CC 2017 through my apps...  Adobe just wants me to download 2018?  I'm on a I mac 10.11.06

thanks

Larry.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like that

Capture d’écran 2018-04-19 à 13.00.53.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Geeez………and I’ve been using photoshop for a decade

Thank you

Larry.

On Thu, Apr 19, 2018 at 1:02 PM, joelg62688376 <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also just now downloaded the trial version of Affinity Photo. Just to see if my 5000$ Thinkpad wasn't just a computer from the 1990ies.
And yes, Affinity performs instantly.

I just got a bit of a tantrum when just OPENING THE EFFECTS PANEL took as long as BOOTING THIS MACHINE, like 5-6 seconds each time. Making me shout "HEUTE NOCH!!!" which means something like "Even today!"

It was a ridiculous simple job: Just change the colors of some layers and export those versions as PNGs, but it took me half an hour just because of the non-responsiveness of Photoshop. And with each update it seems to get worse and worse.

What is happening all this time?! Are you mining Bitcoins when drawing the UI to catch up for all the custumers that might be leaving because of all the bugs introduced earlier (like not being able to zoom to the mouse cursor and other ultra basic stuff - which now works but jeez have we been waiting for it).

Maybe the UI drawing routines are programmed in Java, being executed by an emulator written in Javascript, running on the Internet Explorer 8 Javascript Engine, then the pixels get saved to a big BMP somewhere on the HD and then loaded back to the screen by another Quick Basic script being emulated by a flash plugin running in a virtual machine.

Oh wait - it can't be, because that way, it would be FASTER than it is now!!

I bet, with thousands of Photoshop users, a whole extra power plant is needed just to provide all the exessive amount of energy needed for these UI drawing routines that should render in some milliseconds but do in a matter of seconds.

I'm done ranting now.
So please Make Photoshop Great Again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines