Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photos edited in another program

New Here ,
Feb 12, 2018 Feb 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I wish to view which of my images I have previously edited in Digital Photo Professional. I am able to view photos edited in Picasa as this is visible in the 'creator' section. The reason for this is that I have many duplicates of images and I am currently deleting unwanted files. I wish to discard duplicates which have been edited in another program as I understand they may have a loss of quality. I am using Lightroom 6.

Thank you for any advice.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 12, 2018 Feb 12, 2018

Have you tried using the filter to sort on the file extension? If you've edited a file by using 'Edit In...' the images may have  '-Edited' appended to the title. What is the file format of your original images? How many images do you have in your catalog?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have a Lightroom catalog? If not do you have Bridge?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi cmgap

I have a lightroom catalogue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried using the filter to sort on the file extension? If you've edited a file by using 'Edit In...' the images may have  '-Edited' appended to the title. What is the file format of your original images? How many images do you have in your catalog?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you cmgap.

I have just had a search though different Metadata sets. I am able to find photos which have been opened in different software by typing into the text library filter. The software shows up in EXIF data and various dates give me clue as to whether I’ve done something to them later than they were created.

I have about a thousand jpgs I’m concerned about but maybe only 50-100 that I would really want/need to use again. So if it takes a bit of time so be it. I try to only shoot raw to avoid this sort of thing but sometimes it’s unavoidable.

Thanks again

Get Outlook for iOS<https://aka.ms/o0ukef>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great - sounds like you are on your way... do you have a plan moving forward with Lightroom? Make sure that Stack with Original is checked and try to always use 'Edit In' from within Lightroom so that it will keep track of your edited files. With all of the enhancements to the develop module in Lightroom you may be able to do most of your editing right there. Unless you are doing composites etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 13, 2018 Feb 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi cmgap, Thank you I’ll look into those suggestions at the weekend. Sounds like it might be really helpful. At the moment I’m fine just with lightroom editing. I do landscapes and aim to have them look as natural as possible. I sometimes over edit and have to start over so I don’t want open up a whole new world of editing just yet. I studied in darkrooms and have just been learning digital for a few years recently so I still have a lot to learn.

Thank you for all your help.

Get Outlook for iOS<https://aka.ms/o0ukef>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess I don't understand the actual problem statement.

Lightroom cannot determine whether or not a photo has been edited in another program, but if you do things properly, it can show the edited photo after you import the photo into Lightroom. Other than that, it's not clear to me what you are asking.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi dj_paige

I am able to view all of my photos in my Lightroom Catalogue. If I cannot see if it has been edited by another program in Lightroom thats a shame and I'll have to think of other ways to work round the issue. I am not interested in edits I have made in programs other than Lightroom. I would wish to discard those with edits and start  a fresh with the duplicates of these files I have that have not been edited in other programs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then you need to import the original photos, as they were captured by the camera, and not the edited photos from some other application.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your advice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines