• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Brain [removed] on easy displacement option??

New Here ,
Feb 12, 2018 Feb 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey folks.  I made displacement file for a t-shirt needing logo placed.  All worked fine except when I go to move logo to new spot on tee after displacement initially was applied.  As I move logo, the logo does not take on the form/curvature of the new place it is located.  I have to remove smart filter, then re-run displacement each time I move logo.

I could have sworn I saw a youtube vid that someone freely moved logo and it automatically updated displacement as it was moved.  Maybe not, but I thought so.

Anyway, I can't get this to work and curious if I'm just missing a real basic step here. Everything is a smart object.

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Swearing is not nice and don't use the F word.  Check the video again.  A displacement map is not like an unlinked layer mask for the t-shirt so you can move the logo about the t-shirt. The displacement map is applied to the logo to distort it to t-shirt texture, wrinkles and shadows when you add the logo. Try deleteing the logo layer and then add the logo to where you want it added using the displacement map for the t-shirt. It is a distort filter you use to distort the logo layer you added.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as I know, you always had to reapply the displacement map. At least with smart objects, you just reapply the displacement map, rather than having to delete anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would think if you placed in the logo as a smart object layer then added a smart filter distort displacement. When you move the logo the smart filter may automatically be redone because the layer transform was updated with the move. The displacement psd file or a link to it would be recorded for the smart filter adjustment on the layer the pixels rendered for the object are never altered, unless you open the object edit it and commit the changes.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 14, 2018 Feb 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JJ, your method would work, but you first have to expand the canvas of the logo/smart object to match that of your main image. Normally when creating the smart object, the image is cropped to non transparent pixels. But once you do that, you can open the  SO, and move it around, then save. and the displacement will change.

Move image in SO:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I keep telling user that you have to be careful when Placing and pasting png images if the are any transparent borders in the png file these will be trimmed during Photoshop place and copy paste operation. To prevent  this what I do is put  a 1% opaque pixels in the document canvas top left and bottom right corners so the layer with transparency bounds will be canvas size not have any fully transparent borders. That the two 1% visible pixels will not be seen by human eye except by pixel peeking.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks everyone.  Maybe what i thought was a displacement vid trick, was another PS tool trick. I cannot find the video either way. Even though re-applying displacement each time is not too hard, it would be great if there was a way down the road the adobe gurus could make this automatic as I was thinking.  It would make workflow that much more intuitive and quick for those that do this often.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You always need to re apply the displacement file. This is why it is recommended to use a Smart filer and you can go back and force to fix it.

I am sorry your brain is F...not a great way to post on the forum that has wonderful people that volunteer their knowledge in their free time!

Chana

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Chuck for the visual I will go back and try that. 

And sorry all.  I did not realize the "f" word I had used was an offensive word.  I thought it was a joke first, but with another eluded to my use of it, I see things are pretty tight on the forums.  My apologies. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines