• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

is there a Kaleidoscope plug-in for Pshop?

Explorer ,
Jun 27, 2013 Jun 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi Folks,

I used Paint Shop Pro for years and they had a great Kaleidoscope generator effect built in to the program.

Switched to Pshop a couple years ago, and have been sorely missing the Kaleidoscope thing.

I've searched high and low on the 'net and there seems to be nothing out there.  Some freebies made for PC but nada for Mac.  (yes, i know there's some lame videos about how to do it in awesome awkward steps using mirroring and rotation and blah, blah, blah, but no, Martha, I'm not buying it.

Is it really a difficult programming feature to cook up one of these things?   I mean, hey, people are doing amazing stuff with fractal generators and computers, isn't about time someone coded a simple kaleidoscope plugin for Pshop on Macs?

thanks for any inspiration.

Gary

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not too hard to do with an action using Free Transform step & repeat.

New square image - say 1500 x 1500 pixels

View > New vertical guide 50pc  (50%)

View > New hirizontal guide 50pc

I'd also centre the grid to centre image

Select the Polygon tool from the Shapes tools, and decide how many sides (it needs to be an even number to allow for mirroring)

Start the Polygon from the centre, hold down the Alt (Opt) key, and rotate to keep the botton edge square to the image with help of the Guides.

Make the Polygon with no fill and a 1 pixel stroke (from the options bar.

Now you have a guide to make your first segment

Draw that segment with the Pen tool, load it as a selection, and fill with white in a new layer

Lock the transparency for that layer.   (This is the layer you draw your coloured shapes etc. on.)

OK. Now you need to record your action so open the Actions panel.

Select your segment layer, and Click on new Action > Give it a name, and shortcut (optional)

Copy the layer (Ctrl j or Cmd j)

Free Transform > select the centre top handle from the 3x3 grid left end of the options bar, and enter an angle (45° for eight segments) > Enter to commit

Shift Ctrl Alt t (Shift Cmd Opt t)

Repeat the above seven times

End the action.

OK.  Delete all the new segment layers, go back to the master segment, draw on it with fancy coloured brushes.

Run the Kalidascope action.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi Trevor,

thanks for taking the time to outline this, much appreciated.  if I can muster up the patience, I will give it a try.  I have been porting my PSD's out to my old PC, which still has PSP loaded on it and doing my Kaleidoscope work there and re-exporting them back to the Mac.

what I need the ability to do, is work with a number of geometrical selections (ie, circles of varying edge-feathering), positioned in various locales on an image, because then they 'gather' their 'spokes', angles, and variations from specific areas, and using the K controls, I can very the angle, vert & horiz reference point, the 'suction' at the center, and on and on, until I obtain a very balanced and precise mix of color, shape and geometry.  And I can visually see the preview of the selected area instantaneously and adjust parameters accordingly.

What you describe above may yeild an interesting result, but to change and preview the changes would be major work (i think).

Funny that there's no Mac equivalent for this.  Maybe the young generation just doesn't appreciate the term "psychedelic" any more!!

Gary

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 28, 2013 Jun 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks PEC, the fills are interesting textures, but aren't quite what I had in mind.  Kaleidoscopic effects manifest a very specific color-and-geometry array that samples excluisvely from specific areas of an image (adjusted by variable parameters), and applied to the specific region selected with a marquee, or the entire image if desired.

Most people aren't familiar with the practical application of rendering this type of "abstraction" on an image, so here's an example if you want to check out some kaleidoscopes that are rendered with a very specific balance of detail and geometry:  http://www.flickr.com/photos/75575178@N00/9158066274/ ...

gary

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe this old Script can help, but it’s not a proper plug-in.

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/exchange/index.cfm?event=extensionDetail&loc=en_us&extid=2145022

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 05, 2014 Oct 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gary,

I need an intervention. Kaleidoscopes are highly addictive. Here's a link for PS.MikeW Photoshop Actions Free Downloads

I use a different one but I don't know where it came from since I found it a couple of years ago. Hope this helps.

Cheers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 21, 2016 Oct 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To create kaleidoscope in Photoshop you can try the Animated Kaleidoscope Photoshop Tool:

https://graphicriver.net/item/animated-kaleidoscope-photoshop-tool/12650952?ref=psddude

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 28, 2017 Jan 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't remember how I even found it but I found an action years ago for kaleidoscopes. I don't know how to attach it here, but if you're still interested, let me know. There is also a stand alone program (Scopeworks) that is really good but it  makes small files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 28, 2017 Jan 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a plugin called KALEIDOFx

http://www.humansoftware.net/kaleidofx

Lots of kaleidoscope type filters for Filter Forge

https://www.filterforge.com/filters/search.html?q=kaleidoscope&h=r

Unfortunately, it seems all the free kaleidoscope plugins are on the windows side.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 12, 2018 Feb 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have adobe elements 15.  Just ordered Kaleido FX. To download it says I have to belong to the Creative Cloud which has a monthly fee and I don't want.  Also heard that the Creative Cloud doesn't work with Elements.  Is there a way to use it w/o getting involved with the CC.  I'm trying to cancel the  $59 program.  Any help much appreciated.

Jean

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/crystal+energy+images  wrote

I have adobe elements 15.  Just ordered Kaleido FX. To download it says I have to belong to the Creative Cloud which has a monthly fee and I don't want.  Also heard that the Creative Cloud doesn't work with Elements.  Is there a way to use it w/o getting involved with the CC.  I'm trying to cancel the  $59 program.  Any help much appreciated.

Jean

You know that Elements is different to Photoshop, and that the latter is part of Creative Cloud, and that Elements isn't?  You need to ask about a Kaleidoscope plugin for Elements on the Elements forum.  I can't find one via Google, but this tutorial appears to be current

Good luck

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I know now.  Ordered it after reading a reference to it in this thread.  Tried to cancel payment with PayPal but it was too late.  I emailed support and haven't heard back yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where did you order the Kaleido FX plugin from?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ordered it through Adobe Add-Ons.  Other places it was $19.90 for an another version, maybe that's what I should have purchased. Am transitioning to  a MAC and have a great kaleidoscope program that is for windows only. Thanks! Jean

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, I will check it out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 28, 2020 Sep 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A great application to make all kind of tiles and kaleidoscope for mac is GraphicConverter, I love this app you can do so many things with it. I have an old mac so I have an old version but is great. You can download a newer version (10.7)  via torrent.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 15, 2020 Oct 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, a new way to do it, for free, is to use the secret Capture "create from image" in-app app, that you will find at the bottom of your libraries panel (the + might have moved to the right, compared to the link below)

https://jkost.com/blog/2020/03/3-2-1-photoshop-how-to-capture-patterns-shapes-colors-and-gradients-f...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 27, 2022 Jan 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

There is a very easy and good way: use PictureWindowPro, it has a kaleidoscope filter and you can use PWP as an external editor from Lightroom!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines