• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CHM Compatibility with Windows Server 2003

New Here ,
Dec 30, 2008 Dec 30, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just finished creating the first draft of a CHM help file with RoboHelp HTML, and it works well on the machine I have been using to write it, as well as several others. When I tried viewing it on our production machine, which runs Windows Server 2003, I received the correct Table of Contents and Index, but all pages displayed the standard "Page Cannot Be Displayed" error. Right-clicking on the page and selecting Properties told me that it was displaying res://ieframe.dll/dnserrordiagoff_webOC.htm.

I have checked the RoboHelp specifications, and indeed the standard version of RoboHelp is not compatible with Windows Server 2003. I had assumed, however, that this meant I could not run the program on a Windows Server 2003 machine, not that I could not run the output.

Is this error caused by a compatibility problem? Would it help to upgrade to the Server Edition, or resign myself to using separate HTML files? Or is it another issue?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Enthusiast , Dec 30, 2008 Dec 30, 2008
Hi, Sydney, and welcome to the forum,

The problem that you've described typically happens when you view the contents of a .chm file remotely, over a network, and is caused by security restrictions that Microsoft introduced in 2005. See this article for more information and workarounds:

http://www.grainge.org/pages/authoring/chm_mspatch/896358.htm

So, the solution is either to move the .chm file to a local drive or implement the registry changes that are described in the article (on your loca...

Votes

Translate

Translate
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Sydney, and welcome to the forum,

The problem that you've described typically happens when you view the contents of a .chm file remotely, over a network, and is caused by security restrictions that Microsoft introduced in 2005. See this article for more information and workarounds:

http://www.grainge.org/pages/authoring/chm_mspatch/896358.htm

So, the solution is either to move the .chm file to a local drive or implement the registry changes that are described in the article (on your local machine rather than on the Windows 2003 server). The easiest way to make these registry changes is to use the free HHReg utility, which is available from here:

http://www.ec-software.com/products_hhreg.html

To answer your question, though, I don't believe there's any difference between Windows Server 2003 and other versions of Windows as far as .chm files are concerned.

Pete

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, that makes sense. All the file areas on our production server are networked; I didn't even think of it.

I'll get permission to put the file on the hard drive (it'll be there when we use it, so hopefully no need to change the registry) and then come back to you with whether it works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 08, 2009 Jan 08, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or you could create a WebHelp project instead ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 16, 2009 Jan 16, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I downloaded the file and ran it. It worked on my XP PC but not on my vista PC. I can run chm files locally but from the network I can see the toc fine but topics do not show and the error message says "The address is invalid retype the address". What else can I do to make it work from a network drive?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to our community, Lisa

You need to carefully re-read the thread you posted in. All known solutions are listed here.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Lisa

There are two issues here.

For running from a network drive, see the link to my site provided above by Pete Lees. That explains why the file will not run on a network.

The problem running locally is different. I think you right click the file and select Properties when there will be a fairly obvious option.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp