• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I remove greenscreen from a background?

Contributor ,
Feb 13, 2018 Feb 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using the "select color range" to remove my green screen from the background. I selected the middle eyedropper (because the green screen was unevenly lit) and "invert". The problem I am having is that the subject is also being selected. How can I just remove the green from the background without affecting the subject?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advocate , Feb 13, 2018 Feb 13, 2018

Just uose any selection tool. Quick Selection, Magic Wand, Color Range, Quick Mask, Pen, Lasso (depends of your subject) you can also use channel,

If you select your subject (in new version of Photoshop you can even use Select Subject Command) then go to Select & Mask Command to adjust jour selection. If you do if use CTRL+J and move your subject on a new layer.

Then you can select background and change color any way you want. You can even drag and drop new background from any image or selection

Pa

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just uose any selection tool. Quick Selection, Magic Wand, Color Range, Quick Mask, Pen, Lasso (depends of your subject) you can also use channel,

If you select your subject (in new version of Photoshop you can even use Select Subject Command) then go to Select & Mask Command to adjust jour selection. If you do if use CTRL+J and move your subject on a new layer.

Then you can select background and change color any way you want. You can even drag and drop new background from any image or selection

Pawel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried the "select and mask" and it seemed to work a little better but I'm still left with a fuzzy green outline around my subject. I tried the "refine edge" tool and it erases the subject as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suspect the subject edge is not in sharp focus, which is deadly in green screen. Post the image so that we can have a more accurate idea of problem. Also, tell us what version of PS you are using the and OS

__insert image.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't see "insert image" The only option under "actions" is "report abuse".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The symbols that you see in the illustration I posted appear at the top of the area you write in when you post a message here. Click on the symbol that is circled. If you let your cursor linger there the "Insert message" note appears. The reason we would like to see the image is that we could download it and try a few solutions to help you: channel mask, for example. and other methods.  The reason you do not see "Select Subject" in the Options Bar is that you do not have the latest PS version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just updated Photoshop but still don't see "select subject" in the options bar.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you chosen the Quick Selection Tool?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, but I can't refine the edge enough. It's erasing the subject as well as the background. Totally frustrating. I thought Photoshop had this select color thing mastered by now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I meant "select and mask"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Photoshop CC and Windows 10

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Post or link your image here please.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IMG_0006.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You must be doing something wrong here. This is one pass with Select > Color Range. That's it.

The real problem is the green color spill. You'll need to paint that out manually.

IMG_0006x.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Choose the Quick Selection tool.

In its Option Bar click on Select Subject.

When the marching ants appear outlining the subject click on Select and Mask

Adjust if necessary and be sure to click on Decontaminate Colors

In Output to: Chose new layers with mask.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't see "select subject". Only "select and mask".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've watched that video and tried their method but the problem is my subject is also being removed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can be very difficult when there is a lot of Chroma Key Spill. If you want to extract something in a still image you would be better served with a white or gray Chroma Key background,  Its easer to blend in a natural Chroma Key then a green or blue one.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

there wasn't much spill but the background was unevenly lit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

then try magic wand tool

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No offense, but the magic wand tool was totally useless. I could click all day with it and not get the proper selection.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does blend if green help any? To drop out the green.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Final.png

curves.pngcurve.png

Since you do not have the latest version of Photoshop and are having problems with the Refine Edge Tool this is another option:

1. Duplicate the image layer and then change Image > Mode to Lab Color (Don’t flatten)

2. Choose Channels and drag the  a  channel down to make a copy

3. Choose Image > Adjustments > Curves and click on Auto (it will look like the curve on the left)

4. Increase the contrast as shown. Mask is complete without brushwork. (It will look like the curve on the right)

5. Return to RGB color

6. Place a new layer below the top layer, turn off the eye on the bottom layer

7. Apply the mask to the top layer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just updated to the latest version. I will try this but it sure seems like a lot of steps!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines