Exit

How to draw square brackets perfectly?

Community Beginner ,
Feb 13, 2018 Feb 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to make a shape in "[   ]" or:

螢幕快照 2018-02-14 上午3.02.14.png

I have tried the Trim path, Dash, Offset. But I feel it is not accurate.

螢幕快照 2018-02-14 上午3.01.39.png

Anybody know how to draw them in AE very precise?

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 13, 2018 Feb 13, 2018

I would start by creating a shape layer with the rectangle tool. Then I would position the rectangle in the center of the comp by pressing the U key twice and zeroing out the Transform Rectangle 1 position property. Then Right click on Rectangle 1 Path and select Convert to Bezier Path. Now change to the pen tool and select two of the points on the path by holding down the Ctrl/Cmnd key and dragging a selection around the left or right side of your rectangle. Now right click on the path you sele

Votes

Translate

Translate
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure what you're trying to do but why not make a text layer with [, convert to shape layer, duplicate and flip?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would start by creating a shape layer with the rectangle tool. Then I would position the rectangle in the center of the comp by pressing the U key twice and zeroing out the Transform Rectangle 1 position property. Then Right click on Rectangle 1 Path and select Convert to Bezier Path. Now change to the pen tool and select two of the points on the path by holding down the Ctrl/Cmnd key and dragging a selection around the left or right side of your rectangle. Now right click on the path you selected and choose Mask and Shape Path and click on Closed to open the path.

Screen Shot 2018-02-13 at 12.01.34 PM.png

You now have a perfect square bracket centered on a layer that you can duplicate, rotate the copy 180º and then tie Transform Rectangle Anchor points together with an expression so you can precisely adjust the spacing between the brackets. You can then use layer position to move these brackets anywhere you like in the comp, easily animate the spacing and do whatever you want with them.

perfect brackets.png

The screenshot shows you everything you need to know to duplicate these perfect brackets.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Super nice! Your method is accurate and parametric.Thanks for your help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI Summitt,

I thought of this method before.But I feel it is not really accurate and flexible.And sometime need to modifier to other shape.

Thanks.

Hee

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 30, 2021 Nov 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I used the pen tool to draw mine and then grouped it. I can scale and rotate so it seems much easier than the description below unless I'm missing something.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines