• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Left pane (with TOC, Search, ect) is collapsed in .CHM

Participant ,
Jan 14, 2009 Jan 14, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This works fine when I am viewing the .chm just after creating it in RH. But when I copy to a different location (like a desktop), or open from within the software app, the contents pane is not visible unless you drag the divider to expand it.

Does anyone know how to fix this so that the TOC always appears? Not very intuitive for users the way it is.

Leisa

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jan 16, 2009 Jan 16, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Leisa,

You may need to check the properties of your help window in RoboHelp and adjust the width of the navigation pane. There's an option to specify the pane width as a pixel value.

Windows keeps a record of the most recent dimensions of a help window whenever you close it, which may explain why it looks OK in some circumstances; the size of the adjusted navigation pane is simply being remembered when you next open the help file. You should be able to verify this by renaming or deleting the hh.dat file in the following hidden folder:

%UserProfile%\Application Data\Microsoft\HTML Help

For example:

C:\Documents and Settings\Leisa\Application Data\Microsoft\HTML Help

Among other things, the hh.dat file stores information on the most recent size and position of every help window that you've opened on the computer. So, by renaming the file and forcing Windows to create a new version of it, you can restore all the help files to their original, as-first-viewed state.

Pete

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok - I will try that. ? - where do I go to 'check the properties'?

Thanks, Leisa

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Related question - I am trying to change the Options for HTML Help [Right-click on Primary Layout>opens HTML Help Options dialog box].

Under 'Contents' - the options for Table of Contents, Index, Glossary are dimmed and unavailable - why? And how can I activate those options?

thanks, leisa

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Related question - I am trying to change the Options for HTML Help [Right-click on Primary Layout>opens HTML Help Options dialog box].

Under 'Contents' - the options for Table of Contents, Index, Glossary are dimmed and unavailable - why? And how can I activate those options?

thanks, leisa

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Leisa

If you are seeing what I think you are, these options are used when you have created more than one Table of Contents, Index or Glossary.

To check the Window properties, click View > Pods > Project Set-up. In this pod is a section labeled Windows. Expand that section and you should see any windows defined for the project. Note that two window types may be defined. One for WebHelp and one for CHM files. If all you see is a single window there and the icon has a small globe in the center, there is no CHM window defined. If that's the case, you will need to right-click the Windows section and choose "New Window". Then define the attributes.

If you DO have a CHM window defined, just double-click it to edit its properties.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 20, 2009 Jan 20, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Thanks, Rick. That's it.

= )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp