• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How can I Expand Magic Wand Selection by Predetermined x, y?

Community Beginner ,
Feb 13, 2018 Feb 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all

I am scanning movie film on a film scanner and have several thousand image files of vertical strips of movie film, each with 13 frames, straightened.

In all of them the sprocket hole is almost in the same place, about +/- 20 pixels.

I'd like to have a script where I could select the sprocket hole with the magic wand, press a function key (or similar) and the selection would grow by 400 pixels upward, 400 pixels downward, and 1200 pixels rightward (let's say). Then I could crop and have individual image files for each movie frame where the sprocket is always in the exact same place.

There is a generic "grow" command, but it doesn't let me control directions or x/y separately.

Example: http://keneckert.com/temp/x.jpg

Thanks all.

TOPICS
Actions and scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How about this?

app.preferences.rulerUnits = Units.PIXELS;

var up    = 400;

var down  = 400;

var right = 1200;

var doc = app.activeDocument;

var x = (doc.selection.bounds[2]+doc.selection.bounds[0])/2;

var y = (doc.selection.bounds[3]+doc.selection.bounds[1])/2;

doc.selection.select([[x, y-up],[x+right, y-up],[x+right, y+down],[x, y+down]], SelectionType.REPLACE);

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If that example is an actual scan is it even worth wild?  The film should be scanned at a higher resolution.  Here is what you have enlarged to around 1.6MP.

Capture.jpg

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello JJ-- yes, of course the original scans are about 1200x800 at 4800 dpi-- I've downsized for the example image.

Best, Ken

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The the approch I wrote in your other append may be the way to go.

I think you would also need to design some interface to use when you script it and the strip would need to be aligned to the vertical well first. To pass some location information as to where the sprocket hole or holes you want to process and create a documents  with its frame's content.  A color sampler for example you can set up to ten of these before running your script.  Your script could use the magic wand on each of the points one at a time find the bounds of the a hole then set a selection relative to the holes bounds to select the frame rather then the hole and create a document with its content save it out and then move on to the next hole marked by a color sampler. I think you may find scripting something like that may work if all the film strips are from the same camera.  I think there may be some differences in hole location if the strips are not all from the same camera.

Get the hole's bounds calculate the frame's bounds then select the frame's content.  The file must be vertical

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 14, 2018 Feb 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bonjour

Why do not you use it instead
Selection/Color range...

Scripts with ScriptingListener

LAB color = 100

Then use the selections coordinates to work?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 14, 2018 Feb 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What color range would select a single  frame or socket hole so you can get its bounds?

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 15, 2018 Feb 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hum........

Color LAB

L=98

A=-0

B=-1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Feb 15, 2018 Feb 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

And what about the white lines you can see on the left and right border of the example from ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines