Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Slow swfs

Jan 15, 2009 Jan 15, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a problem with any file with animations. I'm recording 900 x 644, and my current project has 88 slides. It runs fine as an exe file, but really slow as swf. Exe format involves some security warnings I don't want and inability to track hits. I've tried slowing the fps to 15, which is fine for most of the project but wonks up the animations. I know I can try to break it up into smaller files that link in order, but do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Jenny
TOPICS
Getting started

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Jan 15, 2009 Jan 15, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the swf slow all the time or only in the beginning?

I noticed that if you have a really big project the swf tend to go slowly in the beginning while it loads all the other slides. If you use an exe file all is "loaded" instantly so you wouldn't have that problem.

How big is the swf you are running? Are you running it locally or on the web?

If you haven't already then try and add one of the Captivate preloaders - that will load the project 100% before starting and could maybe fix your problem.

Best regards,
Michael

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Jan 16, 2009 Jan 16, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Michael. Unfortunately, I'm not any kind of web techie, so I don't know about the servers. The file is 1.79 mb. I am using a pre-loader, so it's not that. It's really slow all the way through. I have blue image buttons that are over/green, and you have to hover for about 5 seconds before they'll turn green, then even longer before the button will respond. If I were going to our web engineering team, do you have any questions that you'd recommend? Thanks for your help.
Jenny

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Jan 17, 2009 Jan 17, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jenny,

That sounds very strange. I never experienced anything like that. The size of 1.79 mb isn't big at all so that shouldn't be a problem.

I see that you have set to fps to 15. What happens if you set it to the default setting (think it's 30). Are the problems the same or do you see any difference at all?

If you run the swf locally from your own computer are you having the same problems as when it's on the web server?

If you can run the published project from your own PC without any issues then it must be something with the webserver where it's located. However, I have no clue as to what could be causing this to be honest.

If you want (and there is no confidential information etc.) you can email me your published files and I will try and take a look at it. I can put it up on my own web server and see if the problem is the same here. If you want me to take a look you can email me at admin (at) captivate4 (dot) com.

One last thing I can think of. Do you have any Flash file (swf animations) imported into your Captivate project? If yes - do any of these files contain an onEnterFrameEvent? I know it sounds nerdy ;o) but this could create a massive loop slowing your whole project down.

Best regards,
Michael

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 19, 2009 Jan 19, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Michael,
I tried e-mailing you at admin@captivate4.com but it was returned as undeliverable. What did I get wrong?
Thank you,
Jenny

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Jan 20, 2009 Jan 20, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jenny,

That's weird - the email is correct and I just sent an email to it without any problems.

I'll send you a private message with another email address here on the forum.

Best regards,
Michael

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jan 20, 2009 Jan 20, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
To quote Michael ...
quote:

If you haven't already then try and add one of the Captivate preloaders - that will load the project 100% before starting and could maybe fix your problem.
Just to correct what appears to be a misstatement, the provided Captivate preloaders do not necessarily preload 100% of the file as stated. Some use 100%, some 60%, and I even suspect some are placebos.

The FLA files are included for the default preloader (and some others), as I remember, and if you have Flash 8 or newer, you should be able to open the FLA and make the (very simple) change to the preloader file action-script, publish it to a new name to same the original, and have a preloader set to any percentage you wish.

Best of good luck!
NOTE: Preloaders are located at:
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Captivate 3\Gallery\Perloaders\

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources